wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on wxyc

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on wxyc
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:24:01 -0400

what's-a goin' on everyone?
fall break? more like fall...fake (!?).  wxyc is alive and well this week and i'm gonna tell you about our upcoming specialty programming as proof:

Hey freaks, Fall Break can’t stop the Inside Track, every Friday at 9 PM.  Join us this week for Iko’s hidden hit record “’83.” This is the first reissue of a minimal synth gem from Montreal, Canada. Iko was a trio of 3 members who all apparently came from an academic background and met at the University of Montreal music department (they may have been studying electroacoustic composition?). The record lives up to the mystique that surrounds it.  These are pretty masterful synth pop tracks and definitely stand out to me in a somewhat oversaturated and sometimes uniform genre.  Big highlights are the killer synth hooks that give each track significant character and the vocals, which switch between unfamiliar samples and DIY, almost glam vocals.  Medical Records seems to be very excited about this release because it’ll appeal to deep synth heads and also folks who have heard one or two Kraftwerk songs, and they’re right!  Check it out!

WXYC's beat-oriented / dance / ~BODY MUSIC~ / "heavy contact" show is coming at you again this Friday night.  Tune in to New Science Experience from 10pm til midnight to hear one of our favorite DJs spin some tunes.  It'll be good, great, and maybe even "hot."

This week on Hell or High Water, let's slither on down to Southern Louisiana and hear some DEEP Cajun cuts from the Swallow Record Co. out of Ville Platte, La. We'll hear some rollicking recording from the Balfa Brothers as well as some accordian shredding from Nathan Abshire. Tune in from 1-2pm. It's bound to get hot!

Ever find yourself engulfed by peace and quiet on Sunday afternoons?  If so, treat yourself to this week's edition of Broken Music, WXYC's corner of programming focused on longer form or more "challenging" "musical" "works" that otherwise might not be done justice squeezed in to a regular show.  Snuggle up Sunday at 2pm.

This week on Sports Rap, a discussion on the merits of baths in red wine! Also, a discussion about the World Series, and a further debate about whether UNC will lose out its football season and how much we care about that. We might also talk some NBA preseason. We'll see! Tune in at 9 p.m. Sunday night.

Hey folks! Monday brings us the Outside Track at 9 PM!  This week we will catch a new release from Su Wai entitled “Gita Pon Yeik.” Take it from the folks at Little Axe Records: “Su Wai is a modern virtuoso of the ancient Saung Gauk, a Burmese harp instrument of both royal and religious significance (fashioned to resemble a leaf of the bo tree beneath which the Buddha attained enlightenment) with roots as far back as the 6th century. In this collection of 8 traditional poem-songs, Wai unfurls clusters of melodic lines alongside a cyclical bell chime-pulse to accompany texts drawn from the Mahagita, a collection of 500 court songs not unlike the British Isle's Child Ballads.” How could you not tune in?