wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:46:50 -0400

hey there everyone,
greetings from I-40! things are alive and kicking at WXYC this week. we've got our fall schedule locked down and just hired some new DJs. apart from tuning in at 3am this weekend to hear them train, y'all ought to check out our specialty shows this week:

Buddies, join us this Friday night at 9 PM for the Inside Track!  This week WXYC’s beloved Ital has returned with a killer full-length release that should provide some kicks.  Daniel Martin McCormick is something of an American underground Renaissance-man.  Starting off in punk-hard-core band Black Eyes in the early 2000s, which morphed into the punk and later techno group Mi Ami, McCormick has landed in recent years in the solo game with his Ital project.  As Ital, McCormick provides dark techno/house jammers which somehow maintain a candy-colored edge.  His music fits better on the LP format than the 12”, as these aren’t necessarily hit, banger singles, but a collection of highly-stylized statements.  The tracks are super organic and never mechanic.  Although often repetitive, typical dance elements like high hats or bass beats don’t seem to perform strict, dominating rhythmic functions, as the focus tends to shift to constantly introduced melodic lines and ever-changing effects dynamics.  Please enjoy!

On WXYCs beat-oriented music show (aka the NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE) our very own JON P will be blasting nothing but techno from ten to midnight. Check it out!

A couple of weeks ago, we took a journey down the Mighty Mississippi to hear the origins of jazz in New Orleans. This week on Hell Or High Water, we are going to return to the streets of the Big Easy to hear how the music evolved in this crucible of jazz. The music will be centered around the music of trumpeter Bunk Johnson. Though not as popular as the likes of Louis Armstrong, for some time Johnson was esteemed as the best trumpet player in New Orleans. Tune in this week for one swinging time.

On Sunday afternoon, Broken Music surveys the recordings of American sound artist Seth Nehil. Much of his work explores the malleability of recorded media, with sounds sourced from natural settings and Nehil's own instrumental material. He mixes traditional instruments with found household objects with a particular penchant for chiming percussion sounds. Nehil is a frequent collaborator with similar minded musicians such as Olivia Block and J Grzinich. The show begins at 2 pm.

Join Sports Rap this Sunday at 9 pm for talk about UNC's first football game of the season, the FIBA World Cup and team USA's performance within it, and the upcoming NFL season kickoff! Fun will be had by all.

It's the Outside Track!!!!! Tune in Monday night at 9 PM for an excellent, EXCELLENT release from the folks at the euro label Staubgold, who have been caringly issuing lost or almost forgotten recordings from remarkably unique and understudied Colombian artists.  Newly released is Fiesta que viva la, a collection of music from Ensemble Polifonico Vallenato and Sexteto La Constelacion.  Ensemble Polifonico Vallenato began as a joke among smart-ass university students who’s sarcastic ire was provoked by the seemingly dismal musical situation in Colombia.  With bland rock and pop music being exported in from North America, these kids picked up a variety of instruments and “played whatever to see what happened.”  The results are insane.  Accordion dominated call and response rhythms adorn a hectic, crowded sonic background as smirking, speech-song lyrics dart left and right.  But that's just the first six tracks….then they become Sexteto La Constelacion, a more mature and focused musical endeavor featuring experimental, rhythmic group improvisations which eschew the accordion in favor of flutes from Colombia’s Caribbean coast.  All of it is awesome. Check it out.