wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 19:52:38 -0400

hey there,
doin well? hope so! i'm back in the USA and it is nice! missed y'all. very warm down south. anyway, as each of you considers the best time to do a sign up radio show these next couple of weeks, I recommend you tune your machine to 89.3 fm and listen the heck up to this sick programming:

As we do every year, we are kicking off August with a killer no-wave/punk release from nearly forgotten band from the mid-70s called Jack Ruby, investigated on a new anthology release entitled Hit and Run on WXYC's Inside Track at 9 PM tonight!  Touring and recording on and off between 1973 and 1977, this art punk outfit become something of an underground legend, a status pretty well earned once you hear their far-out recordings.  These aren't just punky, lo-fi anthems; these are avant-freak 16-minute feedback explorations with broken-string riffs and shouted vocals.  But the songs still come through, shining through as catchy synth-punk classics.  Don't miss it!

Tonight's New Science Experience is featuring an exclusive all-vinyl two hour mix from local DJ LeafyGreens. Check it out from ten to midnight for some deeeeep dubby house and crunchy techno goodness. 10pm-midnight.

This week on Hell or High Water, the music of Skeeter Davis will be featured. Born Mary Frances Penick in Dry Ridge, KY, Davis was a crucial cog in the foundations of the crossover from Country music to Rock & Roll. Dabbling in the sounds of classic Country, Rockabilly, as well as some more Pop-esc sounds, Skeeter Davis was integral in developing Rock music from the get go. Tune in to hear this powerwoman from 1-2pm on Sunday!

Tune in to Broken Music from 2 to 3pm this Sunday to hear portions of the Nantes, France based ethnomusicologist and experimental musician Thomas Tilly's new two LP set entitled 'Script Geometry". These sounds, culled from a month long residency at the Nouragues scientific research station in French Guinea, find Tilly taking the results of his own recordings and sequencing them with minimal editing to create a beautiful set of electronic pieces showcasing the dynamism of the environment around him.

Check out Sports Rap this Sunday at 9 p.m. as we discuss Kreyschewizzle's unfathomable impending decision to put Plumdog on team USA over Boogie. If you understood what that last sentence meant, you should really enjoy this show. Other topics include: Who the starting lineup for team USA should be in the impending FIBA World Cup, what on earth the Panthers are doing this upcoming season, and the MLB trade deadline.

Get spooky this Monday at 9 PM with the Outside Track.  This week we will check out a new one from Belgium based freak-avant-folk international outfit Rutsubo entitle Sakuro.  Husband and wife duo Histoshi Kojo and Carole Kojo are joined by Finnish artist Uton and drone explorer Valerie Magisson to create this drone-folk freak out.  From unique otherworldly vocals to deep, textural acoustic drones, this release boasts the surprising cohesiveness of international artists working in a hard-to-define experimental scene.  Check it out!