wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:11:46 -0400

Radio excitement!  We are hiring new DJs this week, so get ready to hear some new voices during the sweet hours of 3-9 AM.  We welcome them with this fun week of programming:

Tune in Friday night for the Inside Track to hear the new record from Superchunk 'I Hate Music,' put out by none other than Merge RecordsHere we have the second post-draught album by longtime Chapel Hill scene king/queen-pins Superchunk, and it's a killer that instantly ranks up there with 'No Pocky For Kitty' as an all-time classic. Ranging from their own, friendly-but-still-badass take on early punk rock to a few of their catchiest pop songs yet, tune in tonight to hear what the people behind Merge Records hate so much. And check out their show tomorrow(Saturday) night at the Cat's Cradle.

This week on Hell or High Water at Sunday at 2 Pm, DJ Ryan R will play Peter Was a Fisherman: The 1939 Trinidad Field Recordings of Melville and Frances Herskovits, Vol. 1.  Melville Herskovits is better known as a prominent sociologist and author of the massively influential work The Myth of the Negro Past than as a musicologist.  However, during field work in Trinidad, he brought along a tape recorder and recorded over 250 Trinidadian songs.  This release presents 30 of the best examples of those recordings.

Directly after, Broken Music continues its series on Belgian experimental composers, turning to the works of Lucien Goethals. Goethals studies serial composition and electronic music under Gottfried Michael Koenig and Louis de Meester, soon taking a producer post at the Institute of Psychoacoustics and Electronic Music (IPEM).

This Sunday Harrison will be signing out of The Backyard Barbecue for the last time. He'll be hosting "Ill Family", a Chapel Hill- based 1960s psychedelic rock revival- esque outfit. Their sound falls somewhere between the more folk- rock song structured side of the Grateful Dead and the heavily acid- inflected spaciness of Pink Floyd. They also bear a strong influence from the vibrato- based vocal delivery and Dionysian charisma of Devendra Banhart. The set will be all acoustic, as their bass player recently left the band.  Sunday at 8 PM!

We aren’t ALL about music here at WXYC, sometimes we talk about Sports!  Tune in to Sports Rap on Sunday from 9 to 10 PM to hear hosts Reilly Finnegan and Sarah Hirsch talk the latest news in Sports. Slam dunk!

Monday night’s got the Outside Track, this week: Richard Youngs’ 'Regions of the Old School' out on MIE Music. Do you like noisy guitars that convey a personal, emotional sadness unlike anything else in the normally-too-aggressive genre? Do you like manic British vocals? Do you like flutes? What about over-the-top electronics exercises by Astral Social Club? Joan La Barbara vocal exercises and manipulations more your thing? If you don't hate all of these musics, then there's something on this album by British-born, Glasgow-based oddball experimental songwriter that will make you realize this is the best album of the year. Be sure to check out his set Saturday, September 7 at Hopscotch!

Tune in to Should Does Does Radio this week out of more than just habit. Should Does Editor Alex Karsten will be discussing gender neutral housing on campus, songwriting, and just about everything else that can be considered an art, sport, or science.  Wednesday night at 9 PM!

Tune in Thursday night at 9 PM for the Thursday Night Feature to hear station engineer Howie preview some of the bands that are playing at Chapel Hill’s own progressive rock festival ProgDay.  Let us progress rock together!!!