wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 16:52:38 -0400

Boy oh boy do we love radio here at WXYC.  Here's what we can offer you for the week:

Start off with OCS at 10am with the Orange County Special, our weekly specialty show featuring the finest folk, traditional and neo-traditional music the station has to offer.

Join DJ Kiever H on Hell of High Water at 1 PM as he plays old archival recordings from Wilson Library’s Southern Folklife Collection.  Music he will be playing will feature the washboard, the jug, the kazoo and plenty of other interesting folk doodads.

This Sunday's Broken Music will be the second part of a two week examination of the works of Dutch sound artist Felix Hess. Born in The Hague in 1941, Hess studied and worked as a nuclear physicist for almost 20 years until a lifelong interest in the interplay between natural communication systems and analytic codes blossomed into an almost 30-year career of both musical pieces and sound installations. In his work Hess creates semi-autonomous sound recording devices to capture 'natural' communication sources as disparate as air pressure fluctuations from a geyser, rushing water and frog calls and then processes them electronically (similar to the works of, among others, Rolf Julius and Akio Suzuki). This week's show will focus on Hess's recordings and installation works over the past 15-20 years, the most fruitful period of his recording career.

Sunday at 5pm on 4RuiT sm∞thie, Rachel J will talk with young & gettin it Melbourne artist Hamisihi Jama Farah about what it means to be a painter in 2013, how to navigate a constant flash flood of images, and Marina A v. Jay Z .

Harrison is back on the Backyard BBQ at 8 PM.  Tune in to listen to music from artists from the surrounding lands and Harrison’s really inviting voice.

Tune in for Sports Rap for a farewell show for long-time host and “sports-dude” Abe.  Wipe away your tears to catch up with the big news in sports and then meet the new Sports Rap leadership for the year.

This week on the Outside Track, Guersson Record’s compilation of 70’s Chicago psych-rock outfit, Athanor. Flashback consists of both sides of three 45s the English teacher/music journalist duo released between ’73 and ’75, as well as demos and a new(er) track recorded in 2006. Rare psych from Lennon, 12-string guitar obsessed dudes.

Always wanted to travel, but never had the time or the seven league boots? Tune in to Should Does Does Radio this week to catch the triumphant return of our managing editor, Reilly Finnegan, from his travels abroad. He'll regale us with his adventures, and should he get too boring we'll have plenty of other things to regale you with as well."

Finally, tune in on Thursday at 9 PM to hear the Thursday Night Feature.  This week on the TNF, DJ Grant B brings you repeated rhythms and space drones as we explore the theme “Krautrock by People Who Aren’t German.”  Sure, the word krautrock is a huge lie: a title made up by semi-disdainful British music critics to describe the new sounds emanating from the politically turbulent post-war Germany.  Is it the commune-based, weirdo-rock furor of Amon Düül?  The tight rhythms and rock experimentation of kraut-kings Can?  Or even the spacey synth echoes of Cluster or Tangerine Dream? Who knows!  But those Germans were definitely on to something, so let’s check out some artists who were inspired by their styles and, at the very least, rock out for three hours.