wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:36:36 -0400

Looks like LeBron made the right sacrifices to the Sports God last night.  Let’s celebrate an entertaining series with a week of WXYC radio!  Shout out to our non-sports fans as well.

The Inside Track is Friday at 9 PM.  Check out the new release “Settle” from the group Disclosure. Settle is the first studio release of UK duo, Disclosure. Disclosure consists of Guy and Howard Laurence, brothers, respectively 22 and 19 years old. Disclosure creates an interesting blend of UK garage and House music. Since their UK radio debut in winter of 2012, vocals have typically been made the centerpiece of their sound. They’ve quickly leapt to the top of UK pop charts. Settle indulges an assortment of UK R&B and pop vocalists, including names like Aluna of “AlunaGeorge” and Jessie Ware. Smart dance music, so go dance in the summer sun!

Join DJ Peter this Sunday 10am-1pm for the Orange County Special, our weekly specialty show featuring the finest folk, traditional and neo-traditional music the station has to offer.

Then starting at 1 PM, Hell or High Water will feature the music from the long defunct Detroit label, Lupine. Active in the late 50s and 60s, Lupine had an eclectic roster that loosely fell into the R&B box; however, the sound of the label cannot be so easily categorized and also featured bop, dowop, girlgroup and soul sounds. All in all, the music of Lupine provides you with a unique window to the bubbly pop sounds of the time and will leave you nostalgic.

Sunday at 2 PM tune into Broken Music to hear the piece for solo piano “Simple Lines of Enquiry” by Canadian composer Ann Southam.  This remarkably sparse and quiet piece guarantees a blissful listening experience.

Entrepreneurship. Innovation. Leadership. Personal Branding. This week in WXYC Reports we take a look at some of the buzz words that define much of our culture's ideals and accomplishments. Stories from around campus, including young leaders and minor celebrities.  Tune in at 5 PM!

This week on The Backyard Barbeque, Harrison will be hosting the Durham based singer- songwriter Ryan Gustafson. In a 2013 article for the Independent, Grayson Currin writes, "Gustafson is one of the best songwriters to emerge from the Triangle in the last decade. His 2009 album, Donkey LP, eased out country-rock sadness with casual grace and welcome insouciance, earning him both a local buzz and auspicious comparisons to several very famous songwriters." Those famous singer- songwriters include Ryan Adams and My Morning Jacket. They also include Bob Dylan, since if no one else has said it then I will: Gustafson's vocal style is strongly reminiscent of Dylan's. Currin continues, "On his new album, Desert, and under the name The Dead Tongues, Gustafson has finally returned to the sad-eyed observations and gorgeous moans of the Donkey LP."

Sports Rap at 9 PM Sunday night catches you up on a big week of Sports: NBA Finals, Tar Heels Baseball and more.  Tune in!

Turn on your radio at 9 PM on Monday for the Outside Track to hear the new release from Jace Clayton entitled “The Julius Eastman Memory Depot”. Jace Clayton (better known as DJ Rupture) here reconceptualizes the works of the late, late-20th century post-minimalist composer Julius Eastman. Eastman's work was always politically charged, forcing the classical world to consider its own position with subversive piece titles and emotionally gripping repetition. Here, Clayton takes two Eastman works for piano and has two pianists play them, touching them up electronically to best preserve Eastman's intent.