wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC: Kickball Edition

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC: Kickball Edition
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:05:24 +0000

Did you know that, for seventeen years before UNC even had a radio station, WXYC was an organization devoted entirely to kickball? Well, it's not true, but once a year, your hometown heroes travel down tobacco trail and battle the WXDU DJs in the annual no-shame show-down known as the WXYC/WXDU kickball match. We will be taking most of this week to prepare for the match, but maybe just maybe we will have a few specialty shows in between kicking drills. If we were to have these shows, they would be:

Tonight, on the Inside Track, tune in to hear "Haw", the newest album from Durham folk-rock-country-boogie outfit Hiss Golden Messenger, out on the local Paradise of Bachelors label. Songwriter MC Taylor is joined by an all-star group that includes William Tyler, Phil Cook (Megafaun) and Nathan Bowles (Black Twig Kickballers/Pelt), as well as longtime HGM collaborators Terry Lonergan, Scott Hirsch and more. An instant classic, just in time for spring.

Then, stay on first base for the NSE at 10pm. DJ Yugen will be hosting Kid Kameleon + Tinker and bringing us 2 hours of dubstep, trap, burner and aggressive bass.

HOME RUN. This week on Heel Or High Water Sunday at 1pm, Gina B will be playing the 1999 release Iguana Iguana by Reptile Palace Orchestra.  Don't let your past experience with acoustic international folkdance bands bias you against these dudes!  Featuring Sigtryggur Baldursson of The Sugarcubes (co-founded by Bjork), a Brian Eno cover, a doumbek, cello, accordion and more, this album is a pleasant reminder that world fusion music doesn't have to be excruciating.  Although, a caveat, an appreciation for camp is required for some of these songs and no one would ever call this album understated.

FOUL BALL! On Broken Music Sunday at 2pm,, we will enjoy the works of composer Philip Perkins. Among the few American practicioners of musique concrete, Perkins works largely with location recordings, urban and rural alike, introducing an imaginative array of processing. In addition to his work in experimental music, Perkins is a prominent sound engineer, often providing his sound effect design for film projects.

With college basketball season coming to a close this week, Sportsrap returns Sunday at 8pm kickball with a slew of topics including college basketball (recapping this week's title game, kickball, as well as players leaving early, and what it means to the Heels/ncaa), NBA playoff kickball push, Kickball, the Masters, and a little kickball bit of baseball (MLB opening weeks & the Diamond Heels' kickball team). Be sure to tune in. KICKBALL!

On the Outside Track, tune in Monday at 9 to hear Israel Martinez with 'The Minutes' out on Aagoo. The 5th full-length from Mexican sound-and-installation artist Israel Martinez features processed field recordings from across his native country - birdsong playing alongside what sounds like an engine failing to start, cafe chatter awash in glacial tones in digital hiss.

Then, finally, Thursday night at 9pm on the Thursday Night Feature, looks like 4/20 came a little bit early this year. Myself, Madeline M and maybe a few other members of the WXYC Kickball Team will be bringing you three hours of stoner rock, stoner metal, and a special segment called 'stone or metal?' hosted by resident geologist Kevin Q. And in honor of the recent announcement that SLEEP will be playing Hopscotch this year, I think I just might play all of Dopesmoker. So follow the riff to the promised land, order a couple pan-pizzas and tune in to zone out.

TAR,
JJ

  • [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC: Kickball Edition, wxyc-announce, 04/12/2013