wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] THIS WEEK in wxyc

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] THIS WEEK in wxyc
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:29:29 +0000

Two quick things, then some sound pieces of advice. Or, pieces of sound advice. Or, really, things you should listen to!

1. If you've ever been listening, but have wanted to be a part of WXYC, now is your chance. Any and all UNC students can and should apply to be a DJ!
http://www.wxyc.org/news/2012/5/15/wxyc-new-dj-hiring

2. I know you haven't heard from me over the break, which is always a weird time for WXYC. But if you tuned in at any moment, you heard us on the air. If you turned in at select moments, you may have heard an avant-garde accordionist, some sweet beat-matching, a Ukrainian fiddle compilation, or, reaching back a little bit, four hours of Jesus rock. If you just happened to catch a snippet of any of this, or are bummed that you didn't, then be sure to read these weekly emails to find out what treats we have up our sleeves in the coming week (ooh this will be a really good pun for Halloween! treats up our sleeves!)

So here we are. Tune in tonight (Friday) at 9pm for the Inside Track featuring Anna & Elizabeth's self-released album 'Sun to Sun.' Anna Roberts-Gevalt is a musician/folklorist based in Blacksburg, VA. Elizabeth LaPrelle is a renowned ballad singer from Rural Retreat, VA. This set of duets ranges from lullabies to Appalachian ballads and dance tunes, all with beautiful vocal harmonies that will appeal to fans of Mountain Man.

Then Sunday at 1pm on Heel or High Water, Kiever H is going to focus on Ola Belle Cambell Reed. Born in 1916 in Ashe County, NC, Ola Belle, one of thirteen children, grew up singing at church and one day decided to pick up the banjo and teach herself (THANK GOD). During the depression, Ola Belle and her family were forced to migrate north to the state of Maryland; however, this did not change her style of playing. Playing in the clawhammer style, Ola truly goes HAM on the banjo! May she rest in peace.

Keep it locked at 9pm for SportsRap when, after a short leave of absence, SportsRap returns with a brand new episode, as the panel breaks recaps the past couple weeks in collegiate and profession sports. Including, but not limited to, the Tar Heel's start of conference play in basketball, NFL playoffs, recent NBA happenings and the BCS national title game. Tune in to here that and much more this Sunday night on the S.R.

Finally, Monday at 9pm on the Outside Track, check out Ingebrigt Haker Flaten New York Quartet with the Clean Feed release Now Is. This album is a new and interesting non-traditional quartet pieces courtesy of Swedish bassist Haker Flaten (though he now lives in Austin, TX) and as well group of talented improvisers: living legend Joe McPhee on sax, uber-prolific and talented trumpeter Nate Wooley and frequent Matthew Shipp collaborator Joe Morris on guitar.

Keep tuned this semester for updates on Fusion Youth Radio, WXYC Reports, and More

Until then, at least we beat UNLV!!!
JJ