wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:29:45 -0500

As we all wait until 11 to watch our Fightin' Rams play basketball in Hawaii against the Long Beach State Sharkmonsters, we all gasp in unison, realizing nobody told us what the week's specialty programming had in store for us on wxyc 89.3 fm 'the noise.' Fear not! This story is fictitious! This programming update is real!

Tonight (Friday) for the Inside Track at 9pm we got some of that new new by Eternal Tapestry with 'A World Out Of Time' (released by Thrill Jockey). This is the 2nd LP of 2012 from Portland, Oregon hippy space travelers Eternal Tapestry. More concise songs this time, but they still feature wailing guitar and organ-based grooves that build into exultant psychedelic jams.

Then, Sunday at 10am for The Orange County Special, our host Evan D will guide us as we leave Orange County and explore a smorgasbord of rare and private press Christian folk/country/light psych LPs from all over America and at least 2 other continents, all recorded between 1965 and 1980.

Stay locked in for Hell or High Water at 1pm immediately after OCS with our host Evan D as the outsider Christian music train keeps rolling with an hour filled with 60s recordings from outsider Christian folk singer/world class Christian music collector John Ylvisaker. We will sample his LPs Cool Livin' and A Love Song that are now sort of Holy Grails of Christian light psych. Apparently he's been called at times both the 'Christian Bob Dylan' and the 'Christian Scott Walker'.

Don't break your concentration, break music instead! This week on Broken Music from 2-3pm will feature excerpts from three newly released experimental electronic recordings from former Loop frontman Robert Hampson. Hampson's focus the past few years has been to create improvised analogue electronics pieces and systems which are used either as performance pieces or more likely as sonic backdrops to everything from art installations to planetarium shows. Austrian weird music titan Editions Mego has kindly released 3 LPs of Hampson's recent works and we will be listening to parts of all three. Hosted by Evan D.

Last week I told y'all that at 5pm on Sunday, Fusion Youth Radio would be on. I lied, but this week I tell the truth: this sentence is true I tell ya! Capital T true!
This episode of FYR is on the theme of "Religion." The FYR crew will cover some current events, including the Presidential election and deferred action for undocumented youth, and they'll discuss stories and questions about religion and faith. We'll be hosting a musician for the first time as our featured folk musician Jeremiah from Saxapahaw!

On Sportsrap Sunday at 9pm, we will talk about UNC's great win (or awful loss, depending), question why we never talk about non-revenue sports, and alk about baseball.

Monday at 9 pm on the Outside Track, we have Feltbattery with 'Behold A Golden Throng' (released on Migration Media). Nightlight noise regular and Hillsborough dude Feltbattery (Ben Trueblood) gives us...manipulated found drones: a locust swarm; Spring Peepers from Belline creed; and 'other frogs, crickets or swarms sourced from ponds and ditches of greater Orange Co.transmutes the chaos of his sources into truly ecstatic meditations.

Enjoy the weather, enjoy the Mercury retrograde
JJ