wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 22:50:32 +0000

Tonight at 9pm on the Inside Track, check out Nathan Bowles with A Bottle, A Buckeye (on Soft Abuse). Debut solo banjo album from Southwest VA resident Bowles, best known around here as a member of the Black Twig Pickers, Pelt, and Pigeons. Playing mostly clawhammer-style, he mixes old-time tunes and more "American Primitive"-leaning pieces.

At 10am on Sunday for the OCS, James F will be playing an eclectic mix of traditional and neo-traditional music. It could go anywhere, but you can count on hearing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWiN6Jw5QWk

Then tune in at 1pm for Hell or High Water, where all music comes directly from the Southern Folklife collection in Wilson Library. If that's not avant enough 4 u, tune in at 2pm for Broken Music, one of the most eclectic, experimental shows you'll find.

Sunday at 5 on Fusion Youth Radio, we will focus on the theme of "Religion." The FYR crew will cover some current events, including the Presidential election and deferred action for undocumented youth, and they'll discuss stories and questions about religion and faith. We'll be hosting a musician for the first time as our featured artist, Jeremiah, a folk singer from Saxapahaw!

Sunday at 8 on the Backyard BBQ, get ready for some football. Wait, no. Metal. Get ready for some metal! On November 18th there will be a sweet triple bill at CHUG as part of the live BBQ sponsored by WXYC, featuring Caltrop, Black Skies and Fin Fang Foom. Tune in nowsabout to hear all three of these wonderful area bands.

At 9 pm, this week's sportsrap delves into one of the more important topics of the year: Basketball. The panel will run the four corners and preview this year's Tar Heel basketball team, where they stack up amongst the ACC and national picture, analysis of this weekend's games and much more. The crew also breaks down this weekend's football game against Georgia Tech as well. All that and more on the sportsrap.

Keep on keeping on from 10 to midnight as the NSE featuring TJ and Bo Fader goes into spacey, bass-y territories. Two hours of live-mixed electronic? Bwup bwup!

At Monday at 9pm on the Outside Track, we got Getatchew Mekuria & The Ex with Y'Anbessaw Tezeta (on Terp). Great set of live recordings in Addis that feature Ethiopian saxophone living legend Mekuria and Dutch multi-cultural anarchist rockers The Ex, resulting in a striking amalgam of avant-rock, free jazz and traditional Ethiopian music