wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:59:09 -0400

I told y'all that this week was going to be the week for those who are not weak, so let us all take a peek.

TONIGHT at 9pm, there is not going to be an Inside Track. We are going much deeper inside. Deep inside the Hopscotch Music Festival 2012 presented by the Independent Weekly line-up and playing three hours of 'scotch tunes as well as an exclusive interview with Stephen O'Malley of Sunn O))). That's right.

Then, Sunday at 10am on OCS when James F will explore old-time stringband music from North Carolina and Virginia, featuring recordings from the 1920s and 30s up to the present day.

Sunday at 1pm on Hell or High Water,
in conjunction with the Southern Folklife Collection's exhibit, symposium, and concert titled "Banjo: Southern Roots, American Branches," this week's Hell or High Water will feature a field recording of Haw River, NC banjo player Dink Roberts as well as selections from the 1957 Folkways LP American Banjo, Tunes and Songs in Scruggs Style.  Tune in and enjoy these very distinct recordings of banjo music and visit the SFC's blog to learn more about the events Saturday and the exhibit.  Wilson S will host.

Fix music on your own time. At 2pm on Broken Music,
American composer and sound artist Charlie Morrow will be front and center. Morrow's interest in sound began with his studies in composition at Columbia College and Mannes
College of Music, although he largely favored outdoor venues and public spaces to the concert hall. Morrow quickly expanded his involvement to multi-media installations, sound design for films, and, most recently, development of 3D sound software. Over the hour, we will hear Morrow's works for large ensembles of single instruments, his audio collage portrait of Marilyn Monroe, and his sound poetry-infuenced chants.

The Backyard Barbecue will feature interviews with Hopscotch heroes Greg Lowenhagen and Grayson Currin at 8 pm, but there is another barbecue with more barbecue. Check it out, Sunday at 5pm at CHUG. Live sets and free food by Schooner and Organos. 3 dollars at the door. http://www.facebook.com/events/498013496881517/

In Sporting News,
the first SportsRap of the new school year preps the NFL with more NFL Preseason, discuss & predict the PGA FedEx Cup, go over Premier League opening weekend and some MLB chit-chat. Tune in and here some of your SportsRap favorites.Tune in at 9pm.

On the NSE at 10p, we got Edwin and Henry from DISCOVERY (http://disco-very.tumblr.com/). DISCOVERY is one of the best parties in the area right now, with phenomenal music and capacity crowds of good punters. Expect
a mixture of house, future bass, jersey club, and middle school dance.

On Monday at 9pm we got a trax attack on the Outside Track, with
Eternal Tapestry - Dawn in 2 Dimensions (Thrill Jockey)
"Dawn in 2 Dimensions" is the new album from Portland, Oregon space rockers Eternal Tapestry, who specialize in hazy psych rock with white hot guitar action, trippy arrangements and pounding caveman drums.

Did I miss anything?
JJ