wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:46:13 -0400

Wassup y'all,

Big things coming, big things coming. From barbecues to hopscotch, WXYC is going to be totally re-contextualizing everything you think about when you think of summer in the coming weeks. But for now, we sit back and listen to the radio.

Tonight at 9pm on the Inside Track, we will be hearing Paul Ngozi - The Ghetto (Normal/QDK Media), which is a reissue of a 1976 masterpiece by Ngozi, who found success in the Zambian underground psychedelic rock scene in the 1970s and 1980s. It's full of fuzzy, raw guitars and powerful vocals.

Then Sunday at 10am on the Orange County Special, Margot is going to give us all guest passes to the Newport Folk Festival. This all-access pass comes courtesy of a Folkways release of material from the 1960 and 61 festivals, and this disc will be the centerpiece of a Newport-themed show.

On this week's Hell or High Water Sunday 1pm, I choose High Water, but Reilly F chooses Bloody Ballads, a 1956 album of traditional British and Appalachian murder ballads sung by folklorist Paul Clayton.

Then at 2pm, I will be breaking music on Broken Music. I woke up one morning after listening to an album that Christof Kurzmann played on and decided I wanted to learn the bass clarinet. I told myself that if I still wanted to learn it after one month, I would actually look into it. It's been 25 days, so why not get ready by focusing on Kurzmann's playing as well as Kai Fagaschinski. Both Kurzmann and Fagaschinski primarily play the bass clarinet, with Kurzmann also playing a more electronic role. The two recorded together in Kommando Raumschiff Zitrone and both have been a part of quite a few collectives, and I will be picking out some pieces by each that focus on the clarinet in particular.

At 8pm on the Backyard Barbecue, The Toddlers will be live on air! But don't worry, nobody's asking host Julianna to babysit. That was a terrible joke. The Toddlers are Chapel Hill's own folk-rockers fronted by Nathan Toben, and while the band has been around since 2008 in some incarnation or another, the age of obscurity is over as the Toddlers grow up and release a full-length this fall. Tune in to hear all about it!

Then at 9pm on SportsRap,
With it being the time of the season (for loving) with summer ending, the panel will remember the season with the "SPORTSRAP SUMMER 2012 WRAP UP". Discussing all the major highlights and events from the year so far--from the Finals to the Olympics and everything in between. The panel will also discuss the recent controversy surrounding the release of Julius Pepper's transcript and what it means for the university. All that and more on the Sportsrap this Sunday.

Trax attack! Monday at 9pm on the Outside Track,
Paul Dunmall & Tony Bianco - Thank You to John Coltrane (Slam)
British saxophonist Dunmall is in excellent form in this series of duets with drummer Tony Bianco. Here they pay tribute to John Coltrane, using 6 of his compositions (plus 1 Dunmall original) as jumping off points for melodic and soulful free jazz explorations.

What do YOU think Julius Peppers' favorite French play in translation was?
JJ