wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:54:30 -0400

Party people in the house,

Did you like that Thursday Night Feature on Pavement last night? Did you think it came out of nowhere? Did you wish you had a weekly email that would turn that nowhere into a somewhere into right here?

Right here on WXYC this week, tonight (Friday) at 9pm on the Inside Track we'll hear Light in the Attic's new compilation, Country Funk.  These songs were all recorded between 1969 and 1975, and feature artists like Jim Ford, Tony Joe White, Bobby Charles and Johnny Adams who were known for fusing country sensibilities with gritty swamp grooves and forward-thinking production and arrangements.

Sunday at 1pm on Hell or High Water I will be picking up where James F left off with the archives of WPAQ-Mount Airy's "Merry Go Round" radio show. We'll hear a wide range of artists, including Vernon Smith and the Mt. Airy Jammers, Melvin Slaydon and the Carolina Ramblers and more, recorded live in 1978 and 1982.

This Sunday at 2 pm on Broken Music, we feature the works of French tape music composer Christian Zanési, After studying with Pierre Schaeffer and Guy Reibel, Zanési joined the GRM in Paris, subsequently maintaining his position as its artistic director to this day. His works are playful and often ethereal in nature, while also relaying heavily on exploration of the stereo spectrum.

Then keep on keeping on at 5pm for Fusion Youth Radio, history is dangerous. FYR hosts explore the ways saving and making history can and have altered our present and future. During this episode, we take a look at how we remember Black Power activists, with a special focus on Stokely Carmichael and Angela Davis. In addition, we will hear a live performance by local spoken word artist Shaheed Nu'Man. Tweet @FYR893 if you have any questions or comments you'd like to hear on-air! This bi-weekly show is produced in collaboration with Sacrificial Poets and WXYC. FYR LIVE features youth spoken word artists, music, audio documentaries, and discussion around questions of social justice and concepts of community. The program creates bridges across traditional gaps between the university and the town by bringing high school students to the UNC campus and serves as a forum for discussing upcoming events and emerging issues. FYR is produced for youth by youth.

At 9pm, this week's SportsRap panel continues its Olympic coverage, by highlighting the highlights of the week so far and discussing US Basketball, Swimming & more. The panel also goes over the MLB trade deadline and much more. Call in and voice your opinion of greatest Olympian. SportsRap is broduced by sports by sports.

Come back on Monday at 9pm for the Inside Track Re-Up Edition with the new Drag City release "Natural History" by Baltimore's Dope Body. This hard-rock quartet is currently the sole occupant of the unholy middle ground between the in-your-face funk-ripping riffage of bands you've heard of like The Red Hot Chili Peppers or The Rage Against The Machines and something much more bizarre. Whatever's going on, it's one of the most interesting rock albums of the year, and we're stoked to have a clean copy of the whole thing. Also, these guys are known for putting on a killer live show, so if you get a chance to stop by their set at Hopscotch and come out unscathed, you won't regret it.

Water polo is cruel to horses, but the Olympics are cool!
JJ