wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:37:48 -0400

Do you ever get nervous? Do you love listening to WXYC? Do you ever think the shows you're listening to are listening to you? Well, some of them are. In general, the only prediction we can make about XYC programming is that the free jazz is lurking just around the corner, but there are a few breaks from our break from routine, and here they are:

Tonight (Friday) the Inside Track is a real treat with V/A - Fire Star: Synth-Pop & Electro-Funk from Tamil Films 1985-1989 (Bombay Connection). On tonight's Inside Track we'll hear a new compilation of 1980s Tamil film music produced by legendary South Indian composer Ilaiyaraaja, AKA "The Maestro". What would happen if you blended 1980s hip-hop beats with funky cold wave synth instrumentals and sprinkled them with over-the-top Tamil lyrics? Tune in to the Inside Track find out.

Then, Sunday kicks off at 10am with the Orange County Special hosted by coordinator "Uncle Randy" himself. Then Reilly F steps in at 1pm on Hell or High Water when he showcases the Memphis Jug Band--the most prominent jug band of Memphis, TN in the late 1920s.  Their unique sound was a product of a broad repertoire of styles (including blues, vaudeville, rags, etc) and uncommon instrumentation (which at times included kazoo, jug, washtub bass, harmonica, piano, and more).  The groups lineup changed frequently but regulars included Will Shade (Son Brimmer) and Charlie Burse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY5J2TA11HA&feature=related

Break stuff! This Sunday at 2, Broken Music features Belgian multi-media polyglot Floris Vanhoof. Vanhoof's recordings are a mind-boggling hodge podge of modular synth blat, field recordings from parts unknown, and dizzying tape swirl. His live performances pair that with an equally bizarre slide show. Over the hour, we'll wade through Vanhoof's murkiest synthesized waters as well as take in a bit of his recent pinball concrète magnum opus.
In case you aren't counting down the days until the next LIVE Backyard BBQ (there's 9 days, btw, more on that next week), then maybe this week's regular show Sunday at 8 will help get you pumped up. ROBES (WXYC alum Chris Williams, Patrick Cudahy; Carrboro 'indie new-wave') is on The Backyard Barbecue this Sunday. Tune in for a live set and interview with the band from 8 to 9 PM.  Here's their bandcamp page for a quick listen: http://robessounds.bandcamp.com/

Sports. Sunday. 9pm. On this week's Sportsrap, the panel discusses controversy surrounding the Joe Paterno statue at Penn State, discuss the NBA free agency, the week in baseball, along with the PGA's British Open (#gripitandripit). Also the panel will each bring in a specific topic to discuss, one including, but not limited to, the continuous discussion of best sports movie. Be sure to tune in.

At 10pm, the NSE is about beats, not words, so here's the brief: 1 part house, 1 part techno, 2 parts bass and a dash of crunk from dj yugen with special guest gut lightning.
More full albums! Monday at 9pm on the Inside Track re-up edition, we got Mark Fosson - Digging in the Dust (Tompkins Square). Tune in to hear a collection of Fahey-esque solo 12-string guitar songs by Kentuckian Mark Fosson. These home recordings, made in 1976, were demos for an album that was supposed to be released on John Fahey's Takoma label, but didn't see the light of day until 2006. It's a mixture of shorter, piedmont blues inspired fingerpicking and longer, more expansive pieces, and it's all great.

Finally, this Thursday at 9 on the Thursday Night Feature, we'll have a very special three hours of radio dedicated to Kitty Wells. The Clock Stopper passed away this past Monday at the age of 92, and we will go back in time through her 50+ year career, hopefully unearthing a few rare gems hidden in the station library.

You're a very special person and have a wonderful day,
JJ