wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC: POLKA!!! and Beatles covers from the Southern Folklife Collection

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC: POLKA!!! and Beatles covers from the Southern Folklife Collection
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:24:31 -0500 (EST)

WXYC - 89.3 FM in Chapel Hill and live on the Web at http://www.wxyc.org

THURSDAY NIGHT FEATURE

POLKA!!!!!

Dylan T. says:
"I'll be starting things out exploring the classical and folk origins of polka in Bohemia and move through polka's immigration to America at the beginning of the 20th century. We'll listen to Frankie Yankovic, Myron Floren, and many others as we explore the Cleveland Slovenian and Chicago Polish styles. I'll also touch on the Latino influenced Noreno polka hybrid and Irish styles. And to wrap things up I'll be playing lots of cuts from modern artists who have their own take on this genre, with Brave Combo, Finntroll, Polkacide, and the Polkaholics leading the way." Thursdays, 9 p.m. to 12 a.m.

HELL OR HIGHWATER
This week on Hell or High Water Travis Stimley will highlight Beatles' covers in the SFC featuring artists like Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett's covers and with Booker T. & the M.G.'s. Sunday 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Also, this week and every week:

ORANGE COUNTY SPECIAL
tradiitonal and neo-traditional music of the world
Sundays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

BACKYARD BBQ
music from NC's finest, as well as interviews with local musicians
Sundays, 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.

BROKEN MUSIC
difficult or longer pieces live here
Sundays, 2 p.m to 3 p.m.

SPORTS RAP
WXYC's sports talk show
Sundays, 9 p.m. to 10 p.m.

NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE
a live electronic mix
Sundays, 10 p.m. to midnight

WXYC 89.3 FM
http://www.wxyc.org

  • [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC: POLKA!!! and Beatles covers from the Southern Folklife Collection, wxyc-announce, 11/02/2006