wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This week: Latin Rascals, Country Music Politicians, and more!

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This week: Latin Rascals, Country Music Politicians, and more!
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:47:03 -0400 (EDT)

WXYC 89.3 FM - in Chapel Hill and live on the Web at www.wxyc.org

Schedule in brief, scroll down for details:
Wednesday 9 p.m.: PINK AND BROWN, "Shame Fantasy 2" on the Inside Track
Thursday 9 p.m.: LATIN RASCALS on the Thursday Night Feature
Friday 9 p.m.: BARNACLED, "6" on the Inside Track
Sunday 1-2 p.m.: COUNTRY MUSIC POLITICIANS on Hell or High Water
Sunday 2-3 p.m.: TONY CUFFE, "When First I Went to Caledonia" on the
Classic Inside Track
Monday 9 p.m.: TAPE, "Opera" on the Inside Track

PINK AND BROWN, "Shame Fantasy 2" on the Inside Track, Wednesday 9 p.m.
The complete discography - released posthumously on Providence, RI's
Load Records - of this San Francisco guitar/drums duo known to don
color-coordinated outfits and bring down houses with their
havoc-wreaking in-the-red rock sounds.

LATIN RASCALS on the Thursday Night Feature, Thursday 9 p.m.-midnight
This week's TNF is on the Latin Rascals, who were formed by
Albert Cabrera and Tony Moran in the early 1980's. They created a unique
sound of fast-paced chopped up rhythms by making numerous razor blade
edits to the original reel-to-reel master tape. This Thursday, we'll be
playing about an hour of a mix they did for Kiss-FM in 1985, as well as
music from their early edits, their later freestyle productions, and the
records they released under their own name. The Latin Rascals have been
cited as a major influence by many contemporary producers and DJ's,
including DJ Shadow and Prefuse 73.

BARNACLED, "6" on the Inside Track, Friday 9 p.m.
Our second Providence-related Inside Track of the week is from this lively
jazz-rock playing bunch including members of The Eyesores and V Majestic,
recalling the likes of the Lounge Lizards, Landed, Sleepytime Gorilla
Museum, and their stylistic brethren. Out on Corleone Records.

COUNTRY MUSIC POLITICIANS on Hell or High Water, Sunday 1-2 p.m.
This week's Hell or High Water will look at the politicians of country
music--the singers, fiddlers, guitar and banjo players who have campaigned
for and won seats in the public office. Among the list of hillbilly
office-holders will be Louisiana governor and cowboy actor Jimmie Davis;
Galax, VA, mayor Da Costa Woltz; flour salesman, Texas governor, and
Western Swing bandleader Pappy Lee O'Daniel; WV Senator Robert "Fiddlin'
Bob" Byrd; and Fiddlin' Senator Al Gore, Sr. In addition to showcasing
the first-rate music of this bunch, we'll also take a look at the musical
oddities spawned by NC's own Senator Sam J. Ervin, as well as Ashcroft and
Lott's deeply misguided "Singing Senators" effort.

TONY CUFFE, "When First I Went to Caledonia" on the Classic Inside
Track, Sunday 2-3 p.m.
This week on the Classic Inside Track, we'll listen to Tony Cuffe's only
solo LP, "When First I Went to Caledonia," released in 1988 and described
by Ceolas as one of the most significant Celtic guitar albums of all time.
Tony Cuffe died of cancer on December 18, 2001 at age 47, but within his
short lifespan he managed to leave an indelible stamp on Celtic music
through his remarkable research of traditional Scottish music, his
enthralling vocals, and his pioneering of the transposition of bagpipe
music--with bagpipe "riffs" intact--to the guitar. Acknowledged as the
first guitar player to seriously set out to play bagpipe tunes, his solo
LP is also a vehicle for one of the most engaging and distinctive voices
the world has ever heard.

TAPE, "Opera" on the Inside Track, Monday 9 p.m.
This Swedish trio makes delightfully cracked bedroom folk sounds with a
kitchen sink's arsenal including guitars, laptop, harmonium, zither,
glockenspiel, and styrofoam, and somehow make it all pleasant and tuneful.
If the names Fennesz, Gastr del Sol, Tomlab Records and the like don't
make you want to vomit, this Inside Track might be cracked up for you.
Out on the Hapna label of Sweden.

Also this week and every week:
-THE INSIDE TRACK: a new release played in full Monday, Wednesday and
Friday, 9 p.m.
-ORANGE COUNTY SPECIAL: traditional and neo-traditional music of the
world, Sunday 10 a.m.-1 p.m
-HELL OR HIGH WATER: music from UNC's Southern Folklife Collection
Sunday 1-2 p.m.
-CLASSIC INSIDE TRACK: a classic release in full, Sunday 2-3 p.m.
-BROKEN MUSIC: longer, more "difficult" pieces Sunday 3-4 p.m.
-MAKING CONTACT and COUNTERSPIN: news programs from F.A.I.R. (Fairness
and Accuracy In Reporting) Sunday 4-5 p.m.
-BACKYARD BARBEQUE: North Carolina music culled from the fresh produce
from Chapel Hill's finest, as well as older records from N.C. bands of
the past, Sunday 7-8 p.m. On the web at
http://www.unc.edu/~jenseits/BBQ/BackyardBBQmenu.html
-THE NEW MUSIC SHOW: spotlight on new releases right out of the mail
bin, Sunday 8-9 p.m.
-SPORTS RAP: live UNC sports talk, Sunday 9-10 p.m.
-NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE: a live electronic mix, Sunday 10 p.m.-12 a.m.

WXYC 89.3 FM
www.wxyc.org

  • [wxyc-announce] This week: Latin Rascals, Country Music Politicians, and more!, wxyc-announce, 05/21/2003