wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week: Louisiana Rockabilly, Chicago Trax, and more!

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week: Louisiana Rockabilly, Chicago Trax, and more!
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:07:24 -0500 (EST)

WXYC 89.3 FM - in Chapel Hill and live on the Web at www.wxyc.org

Schedule in brief, scroll down for details:
Friday 9 p.m.: PRINCE ALLA & JUNIOR ROSS, "I Can Hear the Children Singing
1975-1978" on the Inside Track
Sunday 1-2 p.m.: LOUSIANA ROCKABILLY AND HILLBILLY on Hell or High Water
Sunday 2-3 p.m.: CHICAGO TRAX on the Classic Inside Track
Monday 9 p.m.: SORRY ABOUT DRESDEN, "Let it Rest" on the Inside Track

PRINCE ALLA & JUNIOR ROSS, "I Can Hear the Children Singing 1975-1978" on
the Inside Track, Friday 9 p.m.
Two-disc set of vintage roots reggae produced by Tappa Zukie (DJ known
best for his Rasta anthem "MPLA") - a disc apiece devoted to singers
Prince Alla and Junior Ross. We will be listening to the Ross disc, which
features the harmony trio Spear, several extended discomixes and a few
fine voiceover toasts from Zukie. Another superb collection on Blood &
Fire.

LOUISIANA ROCKABILLY AND HILLBILLY on Hell or High Water, Sunday 1-2 p.m.
Shreveport's Ram label and studio, operated by Mira Smith, was not as well
known as other Louisiana labels of its day like Goldband, but during the
late '50s few others were as consistent in feeding the hotbed of
rockabilly and early rock'n'roll that the city had become. This week's
program will focus on vintage sides recorded 1955-59 on Ram and its
subsidiaries, by performers like the Lonesome Drifter, Margaret Lewis,
Toby Johnson and Roy Wayne.

CHICAGO TRAX on the Classic Inside Track, Sunday 2-3 p.m.
Out of a few early '80s Chicago clubs - most famously The Warehouse - and
at the hands of deejays like Larry Heard, Marshall Jefferson, Frankie
Knuckles and Larry Levan developed the post-disco dance music phenomenon
of house. This week we will be featuring mid-80s 12" singles on pivotal
Chicago house label Trax, including classic records by Phuture, Fingers
Inc, Levan and others.

SORRY ABOUT DRESDEN, "Let it Rest" on the Inside Track, Monday 9 p.m.
Local faves SAD return with their fourth full-length of throwback "Young
Rock" Chapel Hill indie-guitar-rock and honest post-Replacements
songwriting. Which is to say, this rocks. Out once again on the Saddle
Creek label.

**SPECIAL NOTICE: Northern Hemisphere Live is on hiatus until the end of
the semester. Tune in from 5-7pm on Sundays for regular programming.

Also this week and every week:
-THE INSIDE TRACK: a new release played in full Monday, Wednesday and
Friday, 9 p.m.
-ORANGE COUNTY SPECIAL: traditional and neo-traditional music of the
world, Sunday 10 a.m.-1 p.m
-HELL OR HIGH WATER: music from UNC's Southern Folklife Collection Sunday
1-2 p.m.
-CLASSIC INSIDE TRACK: a classic release in full, Sunday 2-3 p.m.
-BROKEN MUSIC: longer, more "difficult" pieces Sunday 3-4 p.m.
-MAKING CONTACT and COUNTERSPIN: news programs from F.A.I.R. (Fairness and
Accuracy In Reporting) Sunday 4-5 p.m.
-BACKYARD BARBEQUE: North Carolina music culled from the fresh produce
from Chapel Hill's finest, as well as older records from N.C. bands of the
past, Sunday 7-8 p.m. On the web at
http://www.unc.edu/~jenseits/BBQ/BackyardBBQmenu.html
-THE NEW MUSIC SHOW: spotlight on new releases right out of the mail bin,
Sunday 8-9 p.m.
-SPORTS RAP: live UNC sports talk, Sunday 9-10 p.m.
-NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE: a live electronic mix, Sunday 10 p.m.-12 a.m.

WXYC 89.3 FM
www.wxyc.org

  • [wxyc-announce] This Week: Louisiana Rockabilly, Chicago Trax, and more!, wxyc-announce, 04/04/2003