wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This week: Incidental Music of the Sixties, Eyes to Space, and more!

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This week: Incidental Music of the Sixties, Eyes to Space, and more!
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:19:36 -0500

WXYC 89.3 FM - in Chapel Hill and live on the Web at www.wxyc.org

Schedule in brief, scroll down for details:
Wednesday 9 p.m.: DEVENDRA BANHART, “Oh Me Oh My...” on the Inside Track
Thursday 9 p.m.: INCIDENTAL MUSIC OF THE SIXTIES on the Thursday Night
Feature
Friday 9 p.m.: KIPPI KANINUS, “Huggun” on the Inside Track
Sunday 1-2 p.m.: ROOSEVELT SYKES and ST. LOUIS JIMMY ODEN on Hell or
High Water
Sunday 2-3 p.m.: AMON DUUL II, “Yeti” on the Classic Inside Track
Sunday 5-7 p.m.: Timely topics with BILL & TOM
Sunday 7-8 p.m.: EYES TO SPACE on the Backyard BBQ
Monday 9 p.m.: Various Artists, “THE NORTHWEST BATTLE OF THE BANDS
VOLUME THREE: I’M WALKIN’ BABE!” on the Inside Track

DEVENDRA BANHART, “Oh Me Oh My...” on the Inside Track, Wednesday 9 p.m.
The debut from this 21-year old singing and songwriting prodigy of sorts
is a quite moving one indeed. Banhart warbles his surreal wordplay with
a fingerpicked guitar as companion, reminiscent of such touched figures
as Skip Spence, Syd Barrett and Jandek in its flare for the intense and
personal. Out on Michael Gira's Young God imprint.

INCIDENTAL MUSIC OF THE SIXTIES on the Thursday Night Feature, Thursday
9 p.m.-midnight
This week, we'll feature Lalo Schifrin, Dave Grusin, Quincy Jones
and more film and television mood music from the psychedelic era.

KIPPI KANINUS, “Huggun” on the Inside Track, Friday 9 p.m.
Kippi Kaninus is the doing of Icelandic electronicist Gudmundar Vignir
Karlsson, who like another knob-turning, one's and zero's pushing combo
from that northerly mass, Mum, applies the heightened musical awareness
of a classical background to the production of precious, melodic IDM
soudscapes. What's more, Karlsson captured most of the raw sound sources
for the album on contact mics placed in covert locations like the
insides of apples and pencil sharpeners! Out on collective/label
Kitchen Motors.

ROOSEVELT SYKES and ST. LOUIS JIMMY ODEN on Hell or High Water, Sunday
1-2 p.m.
This week on Hell or High Water, tune in for some piano blues from
Roosevelt Sykes and St. Louis Jimmy Oden. Sykes, sometimes called
"Honeydripper," a name as raunchy as his songs, started playing his
unique brand of barrelhouse piano in the 1920's. He soon after teamed
up with vocalist and songwriter Oden, and the two recorded together
throughout the following decades. We'll hear solo recordings of these
two influential blues musicians as well as some of their
collaborations.

AMON DUUL II, “Yeti” on the Classic Inside Track, Sunday 2-3 p.m.
Amon Duul II started in 1969 as a fissure from the original Krautrock
collective of Amon Duul, who had started a year earlier as a musical
commune. The split was caused by arguments between members about the
seriousness of the band's music, and instead of kicking out band
members or arguing over the name, band leaders Chris Karrer and John
Weinzierl simply called themselves Amon Duul II. Amon Duul II stayed
together in various forms until the late 1970s, when Karrer and
Weinzierl split up to play with Popol Vuh and Embryo, respectively.
Their second release, "Yeti," is considered one of the classics of
early Krautrock, and features everything from folksy acoustic ballads
to ambient washes of noise accompanied by delicately strummed guitars.

Timely topics with BILL & TOM on Northern Hemisphere Live,
Sunday 5-7 pm.
This Sunday NHL's Bill Burton and Tom Horan will host an open show with
sundry topics relating to the current events of the day, with Orange-
Chatham County District Attorney Carl Fox on hand to field questions as
well. Listeners are invited to call in and participate.

EYES TO SPACE on the Backyard BBQ, Sunday 7-8 p.m.
Local rock gods Eyes to Space, of which our own DJ Zach Gresham is a
member, will be dropping by with their brand new CD. Always check our
website for last minute additions to the schedule:
http://www.unc.edu/~jenseits/BBQ/BackyardBBQmenu.html

Various Artists, “THE NORTHWEST BATTLE OF THE BANDS VOLUME THREE: I’M
WALKIN’ BABE!” on the Inside Track, Monday 9 p.m.
In our hands is the third volume in a majestic series about rock 'n'
roll made in the upper left of our country during the '60s. This one
takes its subtitle from a killer cut rendered by punky teens called the
Unusuals, and except for a few diversions, it somehow only gets better
from there. You'll probably know the Sonics, and their contributions
are oh so good, but you'll love the rest all the same. Out on Sundazed
subsidiary BeatRocket.

Also this week and every week:
-THE INSIDE TRACK: a new release played in full Monday, Wednesday and
Friday, 9 p.m.
-ORANGE COUNTY SPECIAL: traditional and neo-traditional music of the
world, Sunday 10 a.m.-1 p.m
-HELL OR HIGH WATER: music from UNC's Southern Folklife Collection
Sunday 1-2 p.m.
-CLASSIC INSIDE TRACK: a classic release in full, Sunday 2-3 p.m.
-BROKEN MUSIC: longer, more "difficult" pieces Sunday 3-4 p.m.
-MAKING CONTACT and COUNTERSPIN: news programs from F.A.I.R. (Fairness
and Accuracy In Reporting) Sunday 4-5 p.m.
-NORTHERN HEMISPHERE LIVE: issues-based live talk Sunday 5-7 p.m.
-BACKYARD BARBEQUE: North Carolina music culled from the fresh produce
from Chapel Hill's finest, as well as older records from N.C. bands of
the past, Sunday 7-8 p.m.
-THE NEW MUSIC SHOW: spotlight on new releases right out of the mail
bin, Sunday 8-9 p.m.
-SPORTS RAP: live UNC sports talk, Sunday 9-10 p.m.
-NEW SCIENCE EXPERIENCE: a live electronic mix, Sunday 10 p.m.-12 a.m.

WXYC 89.3 FM
www.wxyc.org

  • [wxyc-announce] This week: Incidental Music of the Sixties, Eyes to Space, and more!, wxyc-announce-admin, 11/20/2002