wxyc-announce - WXYC transmitter update

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "WXYC - 89.3FM" <wxyc AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: wxyc-announce AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: WXYC transmitter update
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:15:49 -0400 (EDT)

WXYC's very old vacuum tube transmitter generated its last radio signal a
few weeks ago. We are still on the air, using a backup transmitter, but
we are not currently broadcasting at our full signal strength. If you
live near the perimeter of our regular coverage area you may not be able
to pick us up at all. If you listen on the Internet, the 16k stream is
unaffected but the G2 stream (when it's working) may have more static than
usual, as it is fed from an encoder located in carrboro, several miles
from our transmitter.

We are in the process of purchasing a new, solid-state transmitter that
should last us for another 20-odd years, which brings me to the point of
this email: we would greatly appreciate any financial help you can give
us. WXYC is run almost entirely by volunteers on an annual budget of
approximately $18,000. The new transmitter and assorted parts are going
to cost us about $8,000 - we should have it installed in the next month or
two. In the meantime, you can send donations directly to the station at
the address below, or you can use this online form to make fully
tax-deductible donations on WXYC's behalf through the UNC development
office:

http://www.dev.unc.edu/development/contents/makegift.htm

If you do use this form, be sure to specify that your donation is to
benefit WXYC. Please contact us if you have any questions.

thank you,
Ethan Clauset
assistant station manager, WXYC

::WXYC Chapel Hill :::: 89,3 fm::http://www.wxyc.org ::::::::;
::Box 51 Carolina Union ::wxyc AT unc.edu :;
::Chapel Hill, NC 27599 :: :;
::919.962.8989 studio ::The World's First Full Time:;
::919.962.7768 office :::::::::::Internet Simulcast 11.7.94:;

  • WXYC transmitter update, WXYC - 89.3FM, 04/18/2000