wxyc-announce - Thursday Night Feature: Naked City Radio

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "WXYC - 89.3FM" <wxyc AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: wxyc-announce AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Thursday Night Feature: Naked City Radio
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:33:06 -0500 (EST)

Listen to WXYC this Thursday night, March 18, from 9:00 PM until midnite
for the Naked City "Radio" extravaganza. Naked City was New York City
composer saxophonist John Zorn's 5 (sometimes 6) piece band which existed
from roughly 1989-1993 [w/ Joey Baron, Bill Frisell, Wayne Horvitz, Fred
Frith, and sometimes vocalist Yamatsuka Eye].

"Radio" came out in 1993 and included, in the liner notes, a list of the
specific inspirations behind each song. While Zorn has always been vocal
about paying tribute to his musical influences, this album takes the cake,
with 19 original songs referencing 60 musical artists along with one book
and one filmmaker.

On Thursday night I will attempt to play music by as many of these artists
as possible, back-to-back with the songs they inspired. Although there
are a few (9 out of 60, to be exact), that I couldn't track down, here is
a list of those we will (hopefully) hear. I'm not sure what the point of
this is in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully it will be
entertaining both to those who know Zorn and "Radio" and other folks who
don't know him too well.

Partial list of artists to be played:

Charles Mingus, Eric Dolphy, Paul Bley, Little Feat, Albert King, Ennio
Morricone, The Ruins, Booker T. & the MG's, The Meters, Tony Williams'
Lifetime, Old, Anton Webern, Morton Feldman, Anthony Braxton, Frank
Sinatra, Carl Stallings, Igor Stravinsky, The Melvins, The Beatmasters,
Septic Death, Seige, Corrosion of Conformity, Massacre, Ornette Coleman,
The Boredoms, Massacre, Jerry Reed, Liberace, Carole King, Santana, Led
Zeppelin, Napalm Death, Carcass, Agnostic Front, Siege, Quincy Jones,
Roger Williams, Funkadelic, Chuck Brown, Bernard Hermann, Jan Hammer, Red
Garland, Ed Blackwell, Charlie Haden, and Conway Twitty.

And, of course, lots of Naked City.

::WXYC Chapel Hill :::: 89,3 fm::http://www.wxyc.org ::::::::;
::Box 51 Carolina Union ::wxyc AT unc.edu :;
::Chapel Hill, NC 27599 :: :;
::919.962.8989 studio ::The World's First Full Time:;
::919.962.7768 office :::::::::::Internet Simulcast 11.7.94:;

  • Thursday Night Feature: Naked City Radio, WXYC - 89.3FM, 03/17/1999