wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Events and food and relief!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Events and food and relief!
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:58:12 -0500

Hello Wheatsville friends,

The outpouring of financial help for hurricane relief from our members has been outstanding! Co-op members have raised over $1,300 so far! Wheatsville will match the total raised to assist folks who need help. If you haven’t had a chance to donate yet and would like to, we will continue to have donation jars at the registers through the weekend. On Monday, we’ll add up the totals and write 2 checks. We are planning on sending the majority of money to the Red Cross and a smaller portion to the Co-operative Development Fund’s Hurricane relief fund. I think that this combination provides the much needed immediate relief as well as helping for the long-term co-operative redevelopment of the affected areas. Electric Co-ops, Agricultural Co-ops and credit Unions are extremely important for many in the Gulf Coast region. Assisting our co-op brothers and sisters to help them get set up for the future seems like an important way that we can help. For more information, please see http://www.cdf.coop/katrina.html One other note, while people often look for ways to help, such as donating goods, the overwhelming need is for money and money is the most effective way to help the most possible people.

If you’re looking for other ways to help, please read the following:
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department is accepting volunteers at the 3501 Ed Bluestein Boulevard Donation Center and Warehouse between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. daily, from now until all donated goods have been sorted and inventoried. (Map).

Due to the generosity of Central Texas citizens the donation center is not accepting donated goods at this time. However, the need to sort, move, load and inventory donated items is great. Volunteers can come to 3501 Ed Bluestein Road between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. daily. A City of Austin Parks and Recreation volunteer coordinator will be on site to register and provide job assignments for volunteers. Volunteers should expect to work in hot and dusty working conditions. Volunteer opportunities include sorting, cleaning, moving, loading, inventory and other labor intensive activities. A City of Austin 24-hour Donation Center Volunteer Information Line [974-6775] has set up and is operational for the benefit of those citizens and civic groups who are interested in volunteering at the Donation Center.

Thanks again for your amazing support. Co-op members across the country have really been doing their part for the relief effort and we can be proud to be part of such a great group of people.

In the store:

Tonight Dairy man, Mark, will be sampling a new local treat, Gorilla Blast. A natural energy drink that has gotten a very positive response so far. He’ll be sampling from 5-7pm or so, so come on out if you want to try some!

We’ll be at the Austin Farmer’s Market downtown tomorrow helping to celebrate Love your Farmer, Love your Local Business day. We’ll be providing samples and information about the co-op to all the fine folks that visit the farmer’s market. Remember our slogan: Wheatsville Food Co-op, your farmers market for the OTHER 6 Days. (I know that there is more than one day of Farmers markets in Austin, but you probably get the idea!)

Next Thursday is Third Thursday! We’ll be sampling Nada Moo, a new local non-dairy dessert. The creator of this delicious dessert will be sampling these out herself from 7-9pm or so.
The Austin Duck Tours will be making a couple stops at Wheatsville starting at 7pm. We’ll also have other entertainment TBA. There is a lot of fun stuff happening all up and down Guadalupe, so come on out and make a night of it!

Healthy Vegetarian Eating Tour of Wheatsville is scheduled to begin on Saturday September 17th at 2 pm. Wheatsville member (and excellent vegan cook) Amy Tharp Nylund will present recipes for healthy dishes including a tofu or tempeh dish, a nutrition packed smoothie (with samples) and a baked good! Get more familiar with your co-op and healthy cooking with Amy! A misprint in the Breeze has confused people (sorry about that!) We will have a Quick and Healthy Vegetarian Family Dinners Tour on WEDNESDAY SEPT. 28th at 11 am. More on this in future e-mails…

Co-op Advantage Special for September are on-line HERE!
Some deals include:
White Wave Silk $2.89
Westbrae Organic Beans 99¢
Brown Cow While Milk Yogurt 75¢
Tofurky Slices $2.29
Organic Valley Cheese (selected varieties) is also on sale!
And MUCH more!
Check out the great recipes in the Co-op Advantage Flyer, too!

In Produce:
Organic Green Seedless Grapes on sales for $1.99/ lb
Black Mission and Kadota Figs are a seasonal specialty available now

In the Deli:
Co-op Share recipes from our friends at New Pioneer Co-op in Iowa City, Iowa available through September 15th.
Twice Baked Potatoes
Apricot Mustard Chicken

Thanks so much for your continued support of your hometown food co-op!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Events and food and relief!, Dan Gillotte, 09/09/2005