wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Recipes and Deli Treats!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: dan gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Recipes and Deli Treats!
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:27:26 -0600

Hi Wheatsville friends!

Thanks for coming out and joining us for Member Appreciation Day this past Saturday! We beat a daily sales record as well as weekly and monthly, so thanks for choosing Wheatsville! If you missed out, the next one will be coming up in March!

As hard as it is to believe, it is the beginning if February, so we have busted out our Co-op Advantage Specials for the month as well as our Deli Co-op Share recipes. Co-op Share this month comes from our friends at the Community Mercantile in Lawrence Kansas. We will be featuring these two special items until February 15th in our deli case. So, come in and try one or both of these delightful dishes!

Potatoes Nicoise,
roasted yukon gold potatoes served in the French style with a light red wine vinaigrette, fresh herbs, capers, and green and black olives.
Curried Cauliflower with Carrots. Florettes of caluiflower and carrots gently poached in an East Indian broth of whole gralic, curry powder, cayenne pepper, peppercorns and coriander. Enjoy this slightly spicy, refreshing side dish hot or cold!

Co-op Advantage Flyers are available at the registers, but some super special deals available in February include:
White Wave Silk Soymilk 64 oz. for $2.69!
Little Bear Organic Tortilla Chips 16 oz for $2.19 perfect for the game!
Muir Glen Organic Pasta Sauce 25-26 oz, selected varieties $2.69
Cascadian Farm Organic Cereal, selected varieties $2.89
Soy Delicious Non-Dairy Dessert 2 for $5!
Kettle Foods Krinkle Cut Potato Chips, selected varieties $1.79
Equal Exchange Fair Trade Organic Chocolate Bars 2 for $5! Delicious and responsible Valentine treat!
This doesn't even scratch the surface of the deals we have for you this month, so come on in and check 'em out!

RECIPE!!!!

I have been wanting to share recipes via this list since I started it, and I am pleased to finally be doing it! I will try to regularly include some recipes in my e-mails, so keep an eye out for them! If you have a great recipe to share, please pass it on to me!

This recipe gives you an easy to make meal that is delicious and fairly easy to make.

While most people are content to eat our vegan queso with chips, there are other delicious things to do with this wonderful conconction available daily in our deli grab-n-go case.

Enchiladas w/ Wheatsville vegan queso recipe by Rosie Weaver

You will need
one large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbsp. Oil
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Cumin
A squirt of Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1 can black beans, drained
1 can La Victoria enchilada sauce w/ salsa
1 package corn tortillas

Sautee the onion and garlic in the oil until soft and clear.
Add in the zucchini and pepper and salt, cumin, and Bragg’s or soy sauce.
Cook until the veggies are tender add bean and mix together.
Heat oven to 350˚

Cover tortilla on 1 side w. enchilada sauce
Put scoop of veggie/bean mixture on tortilla
Roll up tortilla like a tube
Lay it in 9 x 13 pan and repeat until the pan is filled up with enchilada tubes.
Warm Wheatsville Queso in microwave in a microwave or on the stove.
Thin with water or soymilk until it’s the consistency of ketchup and pourable.
Pour it evenly over your rolled enchiladas.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until hot on inside and queso is bubbly.

Serve it up and eat, eat, eat!

The queso is good for Super Bowl snacking, too, though! You can heat it with some soymilk and serve it on up!

I think I'm going to make this this weekend!

Have a great week!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail sender-outer

Wheatsville Co-op winner Best of Austin Best Specialty/ Gourmet Grocery and Best Place to be a Faux Vegetarian!

  • [Wheatsville] Recipes and Deli Treats!, dan gillotte, 02/02/2005