typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] No Wave exhibit/UT

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "andrea feldman" <andrea.feldman AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] No Wave exhibit/UT
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:58:25 -0400

Seeing all those flyers pasted up like that reminds me of Wunderground, an exhibit here in Providence featuring an exhaustive floor-to-ceiling array Ft. Thunder-related poster art and flyers. There's some stylistic/philosophical corollary to No Wave too...

http://www.risd.edu/museum_exhibitions.cfm?type=upcoming&_onview_=museum_onview_92.cfm

Back to UT for a second, they're not the easiest band in the world to Google-search. I did a  career-spanning interview with them in 2006. 1st of 3 parts starts here:

http://www.warpedrealitymagazine.com/2006/06/looking_for_edges_an_interview.html

I also wrote a cover story on No Wave for the Prov. Phoenix. My editor was totally on my wavelength and not only put James Chance on the cover but gave prominent placement to  Ut photo as well.

http://thephoenix.com/Boston//Music/8188-High-voltage-humans/

They deserve far more attention than they've gotten. I don't get why they've been so unfairly neglected all these years. Marc Masters' book covers them quite well. But I was really surprised that the Moore/Coley book had minimal (not to mention largely incorrect) info about them. I expected more.

Jacqui's band Dial [http://dialmusic.net] are planning a tour for the fall. If I get any more info I'll let you know.

One last Ut-related thing: I just posted a live track from a 1987 Belgium show, if anyone's curious.

http://www.warpedrealitymagazine.com/MosquitoBotticelli_ShamShack.mp3

From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
Subject: [TypicalGirls] No Wave exhibit pic / UT

Here's a pic from Pitchfork of the flyers at the exhibit that accompanied the
Teenage Jesus show in NYC last weekend
http://cms.pitchforkmedia.com/images/image/52110.teenagejesusandthejerks01.jpg

Most seem to be for Tier 3 shows, more than one featuring UT - now there's a
band that would not be out of place in today's music world. I guess they don't get
so much recognition because they moved to England. Whatever happened to them?