typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Dropped

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: TnA <sasscer1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Dropped
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:09:19 -0400

Whislt channel surfing the digital on demand late of a Saturday aft. I ran across a documentary called
'Dropped', new to me, consisting of interviews with bands who had been told their services were no longer needed at whichever record company they had been signed to. No one over 20 and no one on this list will learn anything remotely new about the industry, and yet I bring it up because one of the segments features the Bush Tetras. For about ten minutes, there is an overview of the band, narrated by Ms. Place and Ms. Sley in a recent interview, mostly vintage footage, with music represented in snippets and excerpts. Nice to see and hear them...at one point they mention a bill they were on: themselves, Bad Brains and Gang of Four. Possibly if I had been lucky enough to see that show I could have stopped wanting to be a musician and been an accountant, but I didn't, so at 47 I still have a desire for slash and burn guitars. Over all too soon, and the rest of the film (a rapper-comedian, and alt.country.rock type outfit, and whoever made up the final segment) were victims of my fast forward, and then my off button.

cheers

  • [TypicalGirls] Dropped, TnA, 09/30/2006