typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Shivvers/DVD-authoring help?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT dti.net>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Shivvers/DVD-authoring help?
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:34:01 -0500

>After an agonizingly slow translation-process (about 8x real time on
>my 500MHz dual G4), however, Cinematize delivers beautiful
>full-fidelity files --and using .dv stream output you can import
>files of any length into older versions of iMovie...

yeah, on a PC running Vegas one can just drag stuff on to the timeline
(one may need ac3 directshow filters installed), and there is a good converter
packaged with Nero. A couple more good converters are WinAVI
and Total Video Converter.

>I'm still researching outboard boxes for analog-input -to- Firewire
>stream conversions, and I'll probably get one of those (or a PCI
>card) for VHS transfers, but Cinematize at least took care of my
>immediate problem...

Some cameras will just pass thru from analog to firewire, the problem
is getting software to recognize and grab it.. I've done some stuff by the
laborious
method of using dv tape as an intermediate, but have found that, on
particularly vintage footage, messy sync will cause dropouts. Thus some
time-base-correction may be necessary.

But, well done, Chuck. I don't suppose you'd care to hint about the nature of
your project?

joly

WWWhatsup NYC