typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Boston: Hardcore Histories on 1/20

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: maria tessa sciarrino <maria AT plainparade.org>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org, cassettemythos AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Boston: Hardcore Histories on 1/20
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:54:02 -0500

thought this might interest some folks!

-m.

-------- Original Message --------
From: "kisstongorgeous" <grrrlpatrol AT aol.com>
Subject: HARDCORE HERSTORIES IN CHICAGO!

HARDCORE HISTORIES - 10th Event!
"A Herstory of Hardcore"
Friday, January 20, 2006
7-10 PM
All ages!

Mess Hall
6932 N. Glenwood Avenue
Rogers Park ("Morse" stop on the Red Line El)
773-465-4033 (for information on the day of the event)
www.messhall.org
messhall8 AT yahoo.com

Please Join us as we track the complex history of women in Hardcore,
Punk, Noise, No Wave, Garage, and whatever other underground music we
can dig up.

This event will be a little more expansive than usual, but the music
will be as loud as ever! Starting at 7:00 PM, WLUW DJ and music
historian Emily Agustin will give a talk on the early involvement of
women in rock and punk. A free poster that lists over eight hundred
relevant bands from the 1970's to present will be handed out to give
everyone a loose framework for this extremely vast subject.

Following a little discussion and articulation of the impact women
have had on punk and hardcore, we will open the floor, walls and
stereo to the participation of attendees. Together we intend to
create a visual mapping and timeline of women's participation
hardcore and other extreme music forms while blasting sample tunes
along the way. The evening will round out with an open stereo session
for attendees to play relevant vinyl and CDs for each other in a
celebration of the Herstory of Hardcore. Please bring music, and a
beverage to share if you can.

About Hardcore Histories:

Hardcore Histories is a series at Mess Hall devoted to unpacking the
history of Hardcore punk music through presentations, discussions,
free posters, meals and interactive social events. The series is
currently co-organized by Marc Fischer, Terence Hannum, and Paul
Lloyd Sargent. The past nine events have been devoted to: 7" records,
Brevity in music, Queercore, Straight Edge, a candlelight dinner with
the band He Who Corrupts, presentations on Les Thugs and The
Crucifucks, and a series of Italian, Swedish and Finnish Hardcore
Dinners with regional music and cuisine.

The next Hardcore Histories will be a version you can enjoy at home.
It will be a large curated archive of URLs for Hardcore music videos
and live clips that we have found online. Stay tuned.

  • [TypicalGirls] Boston: Hardcore Histories on 1/20, maria tessa sciarrino, 01/17/2006