typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] New 'Women Ahead of their Time" CD

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: HunnyPi007 AT aol.com
  • To: TypicalGirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] New 'Women Ahead of their Time" CD
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:02:58 EDT

it was alex fergusson who did the music on this single which i still have in my possession.  haven't listened to it in ages but i do recall that "i confess" has the line "i like boys in beatle boots" in it amongst dorothy's other "confessions."

here are some "specs":

IR0014: Dorothy
1980
     1.     I Confess
(Prior/Fergusson)
     2.     Softness
(Genesis P Orridge /Fergusson)
Written by Dorothy and Alex Fergusson [so says the record sleeve although fergusson's site cites the above song credits]
Produced and arranged by Alex Fergusson
Engineered by Mick Garogahn
Recorded at Southern Studios, Denmark St.

crippled dick's page for this comp has the following detailed info about this single as well:

„When 19-year-old Dorothy first walked into the reception of the Industrial Records office, no one was quite sure what to expect. But it only took one play of the tape she’d made with young Scots guitarist Alex Fergusson and our minds were made up – HIT was stamped all over it! These songs may not be what you would expect from our label, but we have never been afraid to do something different if we believe in it. And you can take it from us – Dorothy got what it takes!“ Tony Graves (Industrial Records)
Produced and arranged by Alex Fergusson (Psychic TV) this is indeed a very unusual record for infamous label Industrial Records (Home of Throbbing Gristle and SPK). “From 1979 to 1981 I had a song assignment deal with Southern music in London - I could use their 8-track studio to demo songs as long as they got the publishing rights. I wrote a variety of songs during that period and Industrial records liked I Confess so much that they wanted to put it out as a single, so we needed a B-side. Genesis P. Orridge gave me the lyrics to Softness. I knew Gen from when I was in Alternative TV, so it is interesting that Softness should become my first musical collaboration with him!” Alex Fergusson (January 2005)