treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] Tunnels

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: "Debbie Spickermann" <d_obermaier AT cybermesa.com>
  • To: "'Trail building equestrians of New Mexico'" <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] Tunnels
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:17:07 -0700

Una,
I too have ridden through tunnels. The one closest to my house goes under 4
lanes of highway on hwy 84/285.
While this is a broad crossing, the ceiling is very low (within a foot) and
is very sandy as it is a highway
crossing for a major arroyo.
I have also been in a "real tunnel" carved out of rock and where you could
not see the light at the other end
due to the curve of the tunnel. This was at Canyon de Chelly and was made
for sheep herders, but luckily was
made more than tall enough to ride through while mounted. I wasn't sure if
my horse would enter it, but much to
my surprise, did so without hesitation. I attribute it to going through the
highway "type".

Debra Spickermann
Equine Escapes, L.L.C.