treq-nm - [TREQ-NM] Northern NM trail assessments

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith AT att.net>
  • To: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TREQ-NM] Northern NM trail assessments
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:37:18 -0600

Debbie Spickermann wrote:

>Una,
>BTW, BCH-SF has tentatively scheduled a recon-ride for the Borrego Trail
>leading from
>the newly cleared Aspen Ranch road. It is my understanding it has been
>impassable
>for horse trailers for over 2 years. Here's your chance to ride before the
>winter has
>a chance to ruin the road again. We're meeting at the De Vargas Mall and
>caravanning in
>for those who don't know the way. Meet time: 9:00 am, Saturday, Sept.20 at
>the mall.

Debbie,

I'm sorry I couldn't make it, again. This summer has been a loss,
riding wise; I haven't trailered anywhere since the spring ride
with you in the Cerrillos Hills. Too many visitors, house repair
projects, unscheduled vehicle maintenance (cracked radiators on
both trucks, argh!), and family emergencies.

So, what did you find on the Borrego Trail?

Here is a thought. For sharing intel about trail conditions in
some very remote places, I used to rely on notes left by others
in trail log books and caches. I am wondering what the density
is of trail log books on the CDT and elsewhere. Also, would it
help to put more of them on trails under development, to gather
more user feedback? It would be very fresh feedback...

I confess I have not used many major trailheads in national
forests in NM but I use SFNF trails around Los Alamos often
and many times I have wondered about the lack of log books.
Many times I have wanted to leave a note, such as "ponderosa
pine fallen across trail NNN 1/2 mile from here, down slope,
passable but dangerous for agile hikers, dogs may need to be
lifted over, impassible by horses."

Una Smith