treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] Horse Trails in Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: "marie_griffith" <marie_griffith AT q.com>
  • To: "'Trail building equestrians of New Mexico'" <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] Horse Trails in Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:35:51 -0600

When we talked to the lady at the visitor center (a horse person herself),
She explained that you rode the horse up to the "back country" campsites.
If you have a pack animal they would bring your gear. We planned on driving
our 4-wheel drive up with camping, tack, and hay supplies, leaving horse
trailer in the parking lot below. I would ride one horse, pony the other,
and hubby would drive truck up. If another party, we could take their gear
also and they would just ride their own horse up.

That is why we were wondering who else had already done this. Have not seen
the actual sites. The regular camping sites are wonderful down below but no
room for horses.

Marie