treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] Ride the Valles Caldera

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith AT att.net>
  • To: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] Ride the Valles Caldera
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:32:12 -0600

Sabine Shurter wrote:
>At this point, it is important for the equestrian community to express
>interest in equestrian activities at the VC

I agree. Also, use the opportunities that exist.

>Having 2 or 3 paying riders per day does not even pay for the variable
>cost of the VC staff manning the hut and the gate from 9.00 am to 4.00
>pm as paying rec staff is not a fixed cost.

Yes, but this cost does not increase directly with usage. The hut is
manned regardless of how many riders come that day.

As I wrote in The Horsemen's Voice, the equestrian program capacity
now is 1125 visitor days. In 2007, the best year so far, usage was
273 visitor days: 24% of capacity.

Equestrian clubs should seriously consider proposing a special event.
I participated in one a few years ago: a wagon and saddle horse ride
in Valle Grande. The VCNP already hosts events such as a mountain
biking tour, a marathon, one leg of a 50-mile ultramarathon. An
equestrian group could organize a guided trail ride and catered meal,
similar to the very popular Horse Shelter ride near Santa Fe each
year, as a fundraiser for the group. The key to these special events
is that they are organized and operated by outside groups, with help
from VCNP staff. It is necessary to meet all VCNP requirements and
that often means submitting plans to various parties, eg the staff
archaeologist, for review and approval. So planning has to start far
in advance, and good communication is necessary.

>Camping is not available and still in the planning stage. The few
>camping sessions that were available were restricted to the Banco Bonito
>staging area.

Camping sessions were available? When was that? What was involved?

Una Smith
Los Alamos