treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] Ride the Valles Caldera

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: Sabine Shurter <sabine AT tektrail.com>
  • To: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] Ride the Valles Caldera
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:31:53 -0600

At this point, it is important for the equestrian community to express interest in equestrian activities at the VC ... whether as a paying visitor, volunteer or participant in public meetings etc. ... if we would like to see any type of horseback activities at this location.

Having 2 or 3 paying riders per day does not even pay for the variable cost of the VC staff manning the hut and the gate from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm as paying rec staff is not a fixed cost. These people are mostly paid by the hour and are not on a fixed salary. The fixed cost for the equestrian program are rather insignificant at this point. The the VC would be better off financially not to open its gates to equestrians if the numbers don't jive. Plus, from past experience I know that income generated by a program determines to a certain extent whether a program may be deemed viable and worthwhile or not.

Camping is not available and still in the planning stage. The few camping sessions that were available were restricted to the Banco Bonito staging area.

Sabine

Una Smith wrote:

Valles Caldera National Preserve is nowhere close to breaking even, and
some people claim the largest losses are in the cattle grazing program.

VCNP's equestrian program is growing, which is very good news, and as
far as I can work it out VCNP's costs of that program are more or less
fixed. The new interim camping program should help the equestrian
program to grow. I am waiting to hear from someone who has camped, to
learn how it works.

Una