treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] Ride the Valles Caldera

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith AT att.net>
  • To: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] Ride the Valles Caldera
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:25:43 -0600

Marie Griffith wrote:
> There is a camping spot within 45
>minutes At a NM State Park in Jemez Springs which also has extensive trails
>on farm roads.

Marie, this is news to me. Thanks!

Los Alamos is another option. Horses are welcome overnight at Camp
May (above the Pajarito Mountain ski area) and there are transient
horse pens at the county rodeo grounds. Overnight use either place
requires a permit from Los Alamos County Parks. A permit costs a
few dollars (well under $10, last time I checked).

Horses are welcome on the trails at Parjarito Mountain, by the way,
and there is a huge parking lot. It is a short walk from Camp May
to the ski area, and between the two is the trailhead of the lovely
singletrack Canada Bonita trail into the Santa Fe National Forest.

Do you all know about plans to develop a Valles Caldera Rim Trail?
I wrote about it in the June 2008 issue of The Horsemen's Voice.

Una Smith
Los Alamos