tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] fw: Leading a New England Home-Grown Food Revolution

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] fw: Leading a New England Home-Grown Food Revolution
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 17:24:56 -0500

Catching up to this forward from Sandy Repp of Cornell Cooperative
Extension very late (it got buried in my January mail pile):

http://blogs.umass.edu/plsoilin265-jgerber/2012/01/29/brian-donahue-on-the-future-of-new-england-farming/

The estimates here of New England's ability to feed itself are much
rosier than either my back-of-the-envelope attempt of a few years ago or
the studies by Peters et al. that were summarized in our 2009 review
(http://tclocal.org/2009/06/).

Part of the difference no doubt lies in the assumption that we could
"triple the amount of farmland in New England to 6 million acres —-
close to where it stood in 1945" (the CU studies assumed only the
acreage already in production or still available to be put into
production) and the assumption that the region would import a lot of the
feed grain for pork and poultry. Interesting, though.

Jon