tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] Agricultural production in New York State -- implications for local food economies

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: Tompkins County Relocalization Project <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] Agricultural production in New York State -- implications for local food economies
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 10:34:13 -0500 (EST)

Hello TCLocal observers and members,

On 22 February, several TCLocal members were privileged to see a
remarkable presentation, "How Close to Home Might We Grow Our
Food? Mapping Potential Foodsheds in New York State," by Cornell
University doctoral candidate Christian Peters. Details will have
to wait for the publication of Mr. Peters' dissertation, but it's
clear that the methodology he has developed for his study is
exactly what's needed to answer a number of basic questions posed
by our Tompkins County relocalization project in the areas of
nutrition, food supply, food distribution, and land use. In fact,
it appears that this methodology will prove extremely helpful to
any relocalization project virtually anywhere, and we're hopeful
that the final dissertation can be made generally available as
soon after its completion as possible.

In the meantime, Mr. Peters has kindly referred us to two
previously published studies that assemble a wealth of essential
data relating to vegetable and fruit production in New York State
together with reflections on the implications of these data for
local food economies. While some of this information relates
specifically to New York, much will be found of use to any project
that seeks, like ours, to assess the capability of a given area to
provide for the nutritional needs of its residents with food that
can be produced locally. These studies can be found at the
following locations:

http://aem.cornell.edu/research/researchpdf/rb0207.pdf
http://aem.cornell.edu/research/researchpdf/rb0302.pdf

We are grateful to Mr. Peters for these references and look
forward to the publication of his seminal work on local foodsheds.

Jon Bosak
Chair, TCLocal

  • [tcrp-news] Agricultural production in New York State -- implications for local food economies, Tompkins County Relocalization Project, 03/04/2007