stayfree - Stay F---! | March 22, 2007

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <temporary181 AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | March 22, 2007
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:02:39 -0400

Howdy. Here are some highlights from Stay Free's blog that I've waited way to long to send out. For full text, images, and many more articles, see:http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org.

- - - - -

SEEKING YOUR FAVORITES FROM SF! MAGAZINE

If you have any favorite articles or interviews that you remember from past issues of Stay F---, please let me know. I'm compiling selections for a "best of" book and am incapable of being objective about such things. You can either comment on our blog:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/03/seeking_your_fa.html

Or email Carrie at temporary181 AT stayfreemagazine.org. Much thanks!

PRANK OF THE MONTH: FAKE GUCCI AD

A guy in Switzerland, pretending to be a representative from Gucci, called up a weekly paper and reserved a two-page ad spread. He then sent in a fake ad of himself half-naked, flanked by a bottle of Gucci fragrance. When the bill went to Gucci, as he requested, hilarity ensued....
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/03/gucci_fake_pran.html

P&G BUILDS A MARKET FOR EATING DISORDERS

Just saw this ad from a new campaign [see blog for image] promoting the laxative Metamucil and nearly lost my lunch. Procter & Gamble, which markets Metamucil, has repositioned the brand and is now pitching it with the slogan, "Beautify Your Inside." Now, I'm not the gambling type but if P&G isn't targeting anorexics, bulimics, and other weight-obsessed women with this campaign, you can have my house...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/03/metamucil_anore.html

GAY GAZE

Thanks to BoingBoing for pointing us to this amazing study demonstrating that, while both men and women concentrate on faces when looking at pictures of men, men's eyes naturally wander south... just a touch below the equator...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/03/thanks_to_boing.html

DOES TV CONTRIBUTE TO AUTISM?

The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article about a Cornell economist who has done some fancy math linking TV use to autism...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/02/tv_autism_kids.html

MURDERERS, BANK ROBBERS AND... XBOX MODDERS?

Jason Jones used to run the Acme Game Store out here in Los Angeles. When Acme closed, I assumed it was because Jason simply wasn't pushing enough games to afford his lavish space. But no. Jason was arrested by federal agents for allegedly selling "modded" Xbox consoles. He is now serving time in a halfway house with decidedly more violent offenders. That's your Digital Millennium Copyright Act at work, folks!
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/02/murderers_bank_.html

SOLVING NEW YORK'S TRAFFIC PROBLEMS

My new favorite blog, Streetsblog, recently posted a fantastic video interview with transit guru Sam Schwartz. Do wider roads create less congestion? How reliant are New Yorkers on cars? How much traffic congestion does closing roads create? Schwartz punctures a lot of myths in just under a half hour.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/02/new_york_transp.html

RECYCLING IN NEW YORK: URBAN LEGEND?

At a Super Bowl party yesterday, a highly unscientific poll of attendants revealed that the vast majority of these New Yorkers worked in offices or lived in apartment buildings where recycling was essentially a ruse. That is, offices would have clearly marked bins for paper, plastic, metal, and trash, but at the end of the day the cleaning staff would come and mix everything together. A similar thing was recorded in large apartment buildings...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/02/recycling_nyc_n.html

THE MESSAGE IS THE MEDIUM

In response to the ubiquitous public advertising in New York City - including illegally posted advertisements - the Anti-Advertising Agency (run by Stay Free! blogger Steve Lambert) and the Graffiti Research Lab have collaborated on a project to appropriately label the MTA's grating video ads. You can read about the project here....
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/01/sabotaged_adver.html

ABBOTT TO AIDS PATIENTS: THANK YOU FOR NOT DYING

Abbott Laboratories has come up with an ingenius way of screwing AIDS patients. Here's how it works: Abbott sells two AIDS drugs, an older drug called Norvir, and a highly profitable newer med, Kaletra. The older Norvir works only in combination with other protease inhibitors; essentially, it boosts other drugs' effectiveness. Kalectra, however, includes Norvair and therefore works alone...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2007/01/abbott_to_aids_.html

  • Stay F---! | March 22, 2007, Carrie McLaren, 03/22/2007