stayfree - Stay F---! | September 21

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | September 21
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:21:31 -0400

Recent highlights from our blog, Stay Free! Daily. Full text, images, and links can be found at http://www.stayfreemagazine.org

- - -

PERSONAL MATTERS

I haven't had much time to blog lately. For one thing, my part-time job ended two weeks ago and so I've been scavenging for freelance design work. But, more importantly, Charles (Stay Free! "Vice President") and I have decided to get married. Since I'm a classic Type A personality, I immediately started to look into reception sites and expenses, even though the wedding is a good year away.... and, to make a long story short, the experience has been such a rude awakening that Charles and I have decided to document it on a new wedding blog. Maybe you'll enjoy it.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/personal_matter.html

AN INTRO TO NEWS READERS FOR TECHNOPHOBES

After reading the stats that over 90% of web users don't know about RSS, I figure a little education is in order. If you are one of the people who read web sites regularly but don't use an RSS "news reader," trust me when I say that it would make reading online a whole lot easier. This is especially true for sites like ours that update sporadically. A news reader will tell you when your favorite sites update and allow you to keep track of articles that you intend to read when time permits. First, you'll need a news reader...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/rss_for_technop.html

DOCTORS FIGHT ONLINE CRITICS

A while back I posted about RateMDs, a website that lets people review doctors in their area. The Wall Street Journal reported this week that, surprise, the medical world is outraged about it and similar sites. Several doctors have complained and filed lawsuits against online critics.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/rate_doctors_lo.html

NOT SO WILD ANIMALS

Via Monkeywire, we learn that zoo administrators across the country have been doping exotic animals that show signs of distress with their environment. I don't want to get all PETA about this since I'm lying naked on a bearskin rug and eating chicken salad while typing, but this sounds a lot like experiments are being done on animals just to keep the show entertaining.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/not_so_wild_ani.html

PAPER WORK: AN INTERVIEW WITH LIBBY BLACK

Libby Black is a San Francisco artist who recreates high-end retail products and environments by hand. The first work I saw of hers was a life-size, convertible Mercedes Benz 280SL made completely out of paper. She also recreated a Louis Vuitton retail store in a local gallery, making all the store details and Louis Vuitton product line out of paper, paint, and glue. Most recently, she recreated a Kate Spade store inside the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts' "Bay Area Now 4" show...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/interview_with_.html

KATRINA, KATRINA

Artwork inspired by the disaster:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/katrina_art.html

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR LOCAL BUSINESSES SUCK?

You might think I'm lucky to have a video store twenty feet away from my apartment. I barely have to put on pants to rent a movie on a lazy Sunday afternoon. It would follow that I should be upset that it's closing after 20 years, but I'm more interested to see what comes in to take its place. You see, this video store sucked. It could quite possibly be the worst video store I've ever been in and yet I kept coming back only because it was so damned convenient. There's another video store three blocks away, and it too is a prince in the court of Suck. The next closest option is a Blockbuster (8 blocks) and after that a really excellent hole in the wall (16 blocks) which is where I've been renting my videos ever since I decided it was worth the half hour round trip. I don't even consider the Blockbuster as an option, but I can say that because I live in a place with a plethora of video stores. My question to you is, what does somebody do when they only have one local choice and it totally sucks?
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/what_do_you_do_.html

THE ALL-CONSUMING CENTURY

Via Adfreak, I just found out about a four-hour BBC documentary showing here in New York through tomorrow: Century of the Self, a four-hour series about Freud, Bernays and the rise of consumer culture and mass persuasion in the 20th century. I had never heard of the documentary before, which is a bit surprising because it's from 2002, but not when you consider that the series wasn't made available commercially on VHS or DVD. And why might that be? Because, like a lot of BBC documentaries, the producers couldn't clear the rights to historical footage and images for commercial release...
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/century_of_self.html

TV MAKES YOU SMARTER, HUH?

More fodder for our Steven Johnson file: The Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, a JAMA journal, has several studies documenting the negative relationship between TV viewing and educational achievement.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/09/tv_makes_you_sm.html

  • Stay F---! | September 21, Carrie McLaren, 09/21/2005