stayfree - Stay F---! | 2 August Update

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | 2 August Update
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:30:20 -0400

Hello, I'm slowly but surely updating our web archives. Here are a few things from Stay F---! issue #20, the copyright issue:

TAKE ACTION
Five ways to fight over-reaching copyright law
"But fighting the corporate juggernaut makes me bitter," you say. Well, it need not. Copyright laws are fun to mess with because they're just so wrong-selfish, shallow, and impractical. Here are five ways to help.
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/take-action.html

WORLD VIEW
Marketing news and other sick stuff
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/worldview.html

MY NEW FAVORITE THING
Movies, magazines, and other items we fancy (reviews)
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/reviews.html
* 50 Enron Exposed!
* Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm by Helen Valentine and Alice Thompson; published in 1938 by Herald's Publishing Co., reissued in 2002 by Chronicle Books
* Plunderphonics 69/96 by John Oswald
* Badly-Drawn Comics
* Together (Tillasammans) , 2000, 106 min., available on video
*"Lisa's Got Hives," "Pinkarama," "I Believe in Killing Time," and other bootlegs

SHOPPING WITH TED
J.M. Tyree looks at the connection between serial kills and consumer culture. Ted Bundy, we learn, was obsessed with socks...
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/20/ted-bundy.html

:::::::

WANT TO WRITE FOR STAY F---?

The first step is to come up with something you'd like to write about. Then you'll just need to send us an email pitching the idea, along with examples of your work. Deadline for the next issue is August 25. This one has no theme, but we're particularly eager to hear ideas with a local (Brooklyn, NY) angle. Contact: carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org

  • Stay F---! | 2 August Update, Carrie McLaren, 08/02/2004