stayfree - Stay F---! | July 25

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | July 25
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:23:16 -0400

STAY F---! STARTING A NEW MAGAZINE

Hello. Stay F----! is looking for volunteers for a new local magazine we're starting in the fall (tentatively titled THE PARK SLOPE YUPPIE). Anyone in Park Slope, Brooklyn, or one of the nearby neighborhoods (including Propect Hts, Fort Greene, Boerum Hill, Windsor Terrace, Sunset Park, Carroll Gardens, etc.) interested in getting involved should contact me at stay.free AT verizon.net for more information.

RECENT ITEMS OF INTEREST

:::::: "Advert Channel makes its debut in Britain" ::::::
<http://www.waveguide.co.uk/latest/news040721.htm>http://www.waveguide.co.uk/latest/news040721.htm

This is the sort of thing that people expect me to get all worked up about: the world's "first TV channel dedicated entirely to adverts." But I actually appreciate a revenue model that lets people CHOOSE to watch ads or not. Besides, it makes sense that some people find commercials more interesting than most TV content. After all, the amount of resources put into developing commercials -- into writing, filming, and producing them -- dwarfs that of regular programming. That is part of the problem, of course, but it ain't the audience's fault.

:::::: "Is your computer a loaded gun?" ::::::
"At a Senate hearing on Thursday, defenders of the Induce Act -- which would ban technologies that encourage copyright infringement -- will try to explain why their bill isn't the stupidest idea they've ever come up with."
By Siva Vaidhyanathan
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/07/22/induce/index.html
(Requires watching an ad if you don't subscribe)

:::::: " National Barbie-in-a-Blender-Day " ::::::
To celebrate Illegal Artist Tom Forsythe's victory against Mattel, Freeculture.org is organizing an online Barbie exhibit. So gather up all your dirty Barbie photos, drawings, animations and poetry and send them to these folks, post haste.
http://barbieinablender.org/
http://www.freeculture.org/

:::::: "A copyright battle kills an anthology about composer Rebecca Clarke" ::::::
http://chronicle.com/free/v50/i45/45a01401.htm
(Thanks to David Glenn)

:::::: "Web sites can use new technology to block groups of visitors" ::::::
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~2262535,00.html

UPCOMING STAY F---! EVENTS

Seattle - Sun. August 8 and Wed. August 11 - 7pm

"WIZARD PEOPLE, DEAR READERS" LIVE!
Creator Brad Neely will be there to narrate the show himself.
At Rendezvous Restaurant/Jewel Box Theater (2320 2nd Avenue)
www.nwfilmforum.org/wizard

Portland, OR - either Fri. Aug 20 *or* Sat. Aug. 21 (date TBA)

Stay F---! editor Carrie McLaren will be in-store to talk
about the magazine + related projects and pranks.
Maybe I'll read a bit, too... who knows.
Reading Frenzy (921 SW Oak St.; 503-274-1449)
http://www.readingfrenzy.com/

  • Stay F---! | July 25, Carrie McLaren, 07/25/2004