stayfree - New issue of Stay F---! out now

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: New issue of Stay F---! out now
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:35:19 -0400

Hello,

I am pleased to inform you that a new issue of Stay F---! is now
available for purchase. You can pick it up at finer independent
book/record stores (plus Borders and Tower) or online straight
from the source:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order

Of course, we'd prefer that you subscribe since we make a lot more
money that way. Subscriptions run from $7 to $20 for three issues:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order

There's no real theme this time, just a potpourri of pointy-headed goodness, including but not limited to the following:

THE GREAT WHITE WAY
Long before Adolf Hitler hit his stride, prominent American scholars and politicians worked to breed a better, whiter race. Historian Daniel Kevles discusses the United States eugenics movement, Fitter Families, and efforts to segregate, sterilize, and castrate the "unfit."

THE DARK SIDE OF DOG BREEDING
Why can't purebred retrievers retrieve? How do sickly powder puffs win dog shows? What makes a dalmatian a dalmatian? Historian James Serpell discusses humanity's kinship with canines.

JURY RIGGING 101
How trial consultants are using market research techniques to win court cases.

POP SONG PIRACY, OR, THE NAPSTER OF THE 1930s
Barry Kernfield tells the story of bootleg song sheets and fake books.

BIG IDEAS
Stay Free! readers share their get-rich-quick schemes and entrepreneurial experiences.

PR MACHINE
Marketer Robert Doornick uses robots and technical wizardry to warm consumers to his Fortune 500 clients.

SUBLIMINAL SEDUCTION
Did the uproar over subliminal advertising help the ad industry more than it harmed it? Carrie McLaren on the paradox of advertising criticism.

...and more!

that's all for now,
carrie

  • New issue of Stay F---! out now, Carrie McLaren, 07/08/2004