stayfree - Stay Free! | October 23

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | October 23
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:11:35 -0500

NIKE SUES ARTISTS OVER SATIRE

Wish I Thought of it Department: the European art group 0100101110101101.ORG has created a fake Nike website, Nike Ground (http://www.nikeground.com), portraying the company as real-estate vultures who buy streets and squares in cities around the world in order to rename them and install giant monuments of the swoosh. The site looks and feels so much like a Nike site that even the savviest web surfers should be forgiven for missing the point. But if ambiguity makes for a muddy message, it also insures that Nike will take note, and indeed -- Phil Knight et al. have issued a 30-page injunction demanding the immediate removal of material related to copyrighted material.

Here's hoping that Nike Ground gets a ton of publicity for this and spurs much-needed discussions about the corporate takeover of public space.

"ARE YOU READY FOR SOME UNSWOOSHING?"

Adbusters is going to start selling its own line of sneakers, and you can read the Salon article--and several hostile letters to the editor--here:
http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/10/08/blackspot/index.html
http://archive.salon.com/tech/letters/2003/10/13/adbusters/index.html

Personally, I'm all for sellilng clothes that aren't made with slave labor. The idea that this is somehow "unbranding," however, doesn't make any sense.

ELECTRONIC VOTING = SERIOUSLY FUCKED

"A quiet revolution is taking place in US politics. By the time it's over, the integrity of elections will be in the unchallenged, unscrutinized control of a few large--and pro-Republican--corporations."

Mandatory reading, whatever your politics. If you think Florida's voting machines are a mess, you haven't seen nothing: the new electronic voting systems are riddled with flaws -- and owned by Republicans who want to keep source code and voter data secret ("proprietary information").

This is the best article I've seen on this issue in months. Naturally, it comes from outside the U.S.

  • Stay Free! | October 23, Carrie McLaren, 10/23/2003