stayfree - Stay Free! | 30 September 2003

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | 30 September 2003
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:45:35 -0500

Stay Free! is please to announce the fifth installment of the Illegal Art Exhibit, which hits Philadelphia this Friday. Thanks to Inja Coates at Media Tank.org for organizing this round. I'll be down for the opening and the panel this weekend, and there are gobs of film screenings, workshops, and other festivities throughout the month so check it out:

http://www.illegal-art.org
http://mediatank.org/conference.html

::::::::

IN OTHER NEWS

You gotta love new technologies that erode the line between yuppies and crazy people. Here in Brooklyn, I often walk by people talking to themselves and it's not always easy to tell the cell phone ear budded execs from the homeless schizophrenics -- at least not from their conversations. Still, there are a couple of new inventions in the works I'm decidedly less thrilled about. One promises to give advertisers the ability to beam soundwaves to, say, grocery store shoppers. The audio equivalent of laser beams, HyperSonic Sound can only be heard within a very limited range. Marketers hope to use it to send audio messages that only one or two people in a crowded aisle could hear. http://www.physics.cornell.edu/courses/p204/23SOUND.html

Now another company is claiming that it can project images into thin air. I don't mean onto buildings, sidewalks, or clouds -- I'm talking about supermodels and cola bottles floating in the air around your head!
http://www.io2technology.com (Thanks to Jean Lotus)

Pretty soon, it won't just be the Wall Streeters and fasionistas who resemble the mentally ill, it'll be all of us!

::::::::

"Branded anything but Unique"
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7403152^401,00.html
(Thanks to Anita Serwacki)

An Australian newspaper reports on the ever-increasing trend in the U.S. of naming children after brands. We learn of a three-year old named Timberland ("The alternative was Reebok"), 11 Bentleys, five Jaguars, a Xerox, and a Bologna.

that's all for now,
carrie

  • Stay Free! | 30 September 2003, Carrie McLaren, 09/30/2003