stayfree - Stay Free! | 2002 Sept. 28

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | 2002 Sept. 28
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:00:15 -0400

Title: Stay Free! | 2002 Sept. 28
Hello,

I am proud to announce that Stay Free's new website, Illegal Art, is now publicly presentable:

http://www.illegal-art.org

This exhibit, which opens November 13, looks at copyright law and its impact on free speech. The website features visual works, music, films, and videos that have (or could) run into legal troubles due to ever-expanding intellectual property laws.

NY VISUAL ARTS EXHIBIT
November 13 - December 6, 2002
CBGB's 313 Gallery (313 Bowery)

Featuring murdered Disney characters, the Colonel Sanders mandala, a Texaco-laced doily, and more:
http://www.illegal-art.org/print/index.html

NY FILM & VIDEO FEST
November 14-18, 2002
Anthology Film Archives
George W. Bush meets the Teletubbies, Barbie tries a new job, Pikachu (of Pokemon fame) makes a friend, and more. Nearly every film and video will be available for download shortly.
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/index.html

NY AUDIO EXHIBITION
Live show: Tonic on Sunday, Nov. 17.
w/ Mark Hosler of Negativland and Christian Marclay
plus Evolution Control Committee

A CD compilation featuring Negativland, Public Enemy, John Oswald, the KLF and other plundered "hits" will be given away free at all the above events, and to Stay Free subscribers. Everyone else can download mp3's here:
http://www.illegal-art.org/audio/index.html

NYU PANEL DISCUSSION
November 15, 3 p.m.
Featuring:
Mark Hosler of Negativland
Howard Besser, (Associate Professor of Cinema Studies and Director of the Moving Image and Archiving Program, New York University)
Natalie Jeremijenko, technoartist and design engineer
Steven Feld, Professor of Music and Anthropology, Columbia University
Meg McLagan (moderator), Asst. Professor in the Anthropology Department, New York University

NEW YORK VOLUNTEER NEEDED

We're looking for an arts person who can help us make little signs on foam board for the show. If you have access to equipment to do matting and the time/ability to use it, please email carrie at stay.free AT verizon.net.

NEW ISSUE OUT IN NOVEMBER

If anyone out there is interested in advertising (cheap!) in the forthcoming Stay Free, we have a page and a half left. First come, first served... email me if interested.
thank you thank you.

  • Stay Free! | 2002 Sept. 28, Carrie McLaren, 09/28/2002