sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gitlab.com as the primary git entry point for Sourcemage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gitlab.com as the primary git entry point for Sourcemage
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:34:57 -0500

On 2015-09-13 18:02, David Kowis wrote:
On 09/05/2015 07:00 PM, David Kowis wrote:
I've set up https://gitlab.com/groups/SourceMage and mirrored all the
git repos we've got right now, with some slight name changes to handle
the single namespace.

I'm proposing that we use gitlab.com as our primary git entry point for
a couple reasons:

1. This should help increase our visibility. Maybe not quite as much as
if it were on github.com (which we can also put mirrors on, but not be
the primary). I chose gitlab, because they have a legitimately open
source version, gitlab community edition, which we could run ourselves,
if we wanted/needed to.

2. This makes it easier to allow people to contribute to all the things.
The pull request model is extremely powerful and prevalent in almost
every open source project. This commonality helps lower the barrier to
entry.

Any objections to doing this? Nothing else changes. We will have
sufficient automated backups, either by a scripted pull, or some API
calls and webhooks to keep it backed up, so we don't lose any code
should Gitlab die a horrible death and take everything with them.

It's been a week, I've seen no (I think?) objection to doing this yet.
Without objection, I plan on doing it next weekend.

Y'all might have noticed that everything still works. I didn't get around to doing this, had friends come into town and I didn't have enough Saturday to make sure I didn't leave things.

This weekend I'll be unable to do it as well. *sigh* Maybe I can do it one evening during the week. I'll be sure to post to this list when I get time to do it.

--
David Kowis