sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 2010 Project Lead Nominations

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 2010 Project Lead Nominations
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:56:50 -0600

On Jan 14, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:

> > The irony is at least half of my "problem" is the day job, where I run
> > hundreds of SMGL servers, so we really need SMGL or we'd lose a lot of
> > time.
>
> Please, could you write more about your servers?
> What kind of servers, what role, how often do you run sorcery
> system-update etc...?
> We could add similar info on our wiki, great ad.
> Thanks.

While our work isn't really confidential, it's also very tied to the
monetary industry and therefore we're not really open mouthed about what
happens behind the firewalls and definitely not looking to publish details
on wikis.

In generic terms... our environment is almost entirely SMGL. We have some
RHEL/Centos where application support requires it and some OpenBSD and
other stuff where heterogeneity makes it a good idea. We run it pretty
much up and down the web application stack, including some specialized
purposes we had to invent solutions for because nothing on the market
provides suitably high performance realtime load balancing inside our
budget.

Quite a lot of our environment is virtualized, SMGL VMs on SMGL VM hosts.
We deploy new servers from local image tarballs. Active servers get
security updates on an aggressive schedule but don't normally get other
updates unless something requires them because there are so many of them
and we don't have that all automated yet; the server images get full system
updates usually the week or two after a new stable is released, and old
active servers usually get retired or redeployed for one non-OS-related
reason or another every year or two, so over time everything stays pretty
current.

Hundreds of servers, the majority redundant webfarm/etc. VMs on commodity
hardware. Our environment is redundant redundant redundant.