sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome nominations

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome nominations
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:34:00 -0700

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:30:15PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> On Aug 23, Elisamuel Resto [samuel AT dragonboricua.net] wrote:
> > Haah... really, you guys... no time to rest.
> >
> > Well, I do accept said nomination, but I'm no good for speeches, and
> > also givent hat Tome has been blank for a while, my goal is not so big
> > as to get us a full set of documentation, but to at least get the
> > process moving into that direction.
>
> I would like to hear some specifics of what things you plan to do, and what
> areas of docs you plan to focus on first.
>
> For a while I have thought the most direct way for us to get more devs
> involved in documentation is to make it so they can do docs as they do
> spells; that is, get a git documentation repository that pushes directly to
> moinmoin's backend (which uses flat files and should support this kind of
> thing.) Do you think this would do any good, or no?

I agree with you, Jeremy. The distro is for developers/admins by
developers/admins, so we should support documentation by and for them.

I think the first role of any tome lead is to ensure our own developers can
work their way around the system. If it so happens that we complete that
goal, then we can move on to potentially increasing the userbase into
non-technical folk, however, I think the entire design philosophy precludes
such an eventual path unless a separate organization makes a user-friendly
variation with much more limited options and strict QA testing.

Seth

--
Seth Alan Woolley Pacific Green Candidate for Secretary of State
http://seth4sos.org/

IANAL (I am not a lawyer!) TINLA (This is not legal advice!)

3403 NE Stanton St gnupg.org key 84317E6A = http://swoolley.org/
Portland, OR 97212 8C97 9818 F889 EDE3 B54C Cell: (503) 953-3943
USA, 97212-2744 03 AAD6 E936 BF83 8431 7E6A 45.5438 N 122.6295 W