sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Disable DPMS permenantly

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Disable DPMS permenantly
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:17:54 +0100

On 08:09:48 2007-11-04 Alexander Tsamutali <astsmtl AT gmail.com> wrote:
> В Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:42:04 -0500
> Matthew Clark <matthewclark AT inlesserterms.net> пишет:
>
> > I know this isn't SMGL-specific, but I can't seem to find an answer
> > anywhere and figured some of you veterans might have a quick answer.
> >
> > My current xorg/kde setup seems to have DPMS enabled, as shown when
> > executing `xset q`. A simple `xset -dpms` solves my problem. But
> > what's annoying is how DPMS is ALWAYS enabled when X is started, and
> > I can't seem to find where the setting is. So every time I start X,
> > I have to launch a console and disable DPMS, and it's really getting
> > on my nerves.
> >
> > The DPMS option in my xorg.conf is commented out. If there's
> > another DPMS setting somewhere, I can't find it -- I've scoured my
> > system for configuration files.
> >
> > Any ideas? I know it must be something simple, but evidently I need
> > a hint :)
>
> That's not my business, but why do you want to disable DPMS
> permanently? DPMS helps us save energy and solve environmental
> problems.

Actually it's MUCH MUCH better to just turn off your display when not
working instead of bothering with DPMS... :)

That saves more energy than the gradual shutdown via DPMS that goes:
blank -> sleep -> standby -> poweroff after various times...

I always turn off my displays when I don't need them...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C