sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] the case for gcc 4.2.x

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] the case for gcc 4.2.x
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:33:45 +0200

Hi everyone,

over the last evenings, I've rebuilt my system on glibc 2.6.1 with gcc
4.2.1 to see how ready our grimoire is for the new gcc. Here's the
summary:
591 spells cast
8 spells failed
1 of those 8 was gcc related, mozilla (who is surprised that this
age-old codebase breaks? ;)

I'm already working on a fix for mozilla, most of the other failures
were easy enough to fix.
First of all, let me say that it's pretty awesome to have a failure rate
of only 1.3% for a rebuild including a couple dozen updates. Thanks to all
who contributed :) I remember times when we did much worse.
Second, I think this test shows that gcc 4.2.1 is ready to go into test
for more widespread testing. So if no one screams "NO!", I'll integrate
the update after the next stable-rc is cut.

http://www.sourcemage.org