sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of gcc 4.1

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of gcc 4.1
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:59:10 +0000

Le mardi 05 décembre 2006 à 19:49 +0100, Jaka Kranjc a écrit :
> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 20:28, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the status of gcc 4.1. I've used it for months and imho it could
> > go in test. What does actually prevent it to go there ?
> Does the majority of packages (not already using GCC_VERSION) build with
> it?
> I'd expect it to be even stricter about code than before ... A good test
> would be a succesful sorcery rebuild.

It's a bit stricter, but not a lot. Almost all spells working with gcc
4.0 work with gcc 4.1 and for spell that failed, we used to patch them.
Anyway we never had the choice because, iirc, the possibility to use
GCC_VERSION=4.0 has simply never been implemented.
Moreover now that gcc 4.1 is the default on most distributions, the
maintainers of 'active' softwares fixed their sources.
But of course a full sorcery rebuild would be better test than just "it
works for me". ;-)
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be