sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] second set of amendments to voting policy

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] second set of amendments to voting policy
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 17:43:27 -0500

On Jul 09, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net [seth AT swoolley.homeip.net] wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 09:03:28PM +0200, Andra?? ruskie Levstik wrote:
> > Jeremy Blosser wrote :
> >

> > > - Change the inactivity limit for general developers from one year to
> > > six
> > > This was supposed to get changed before the initial proposal based on
> > > feedback from various people, but didn't get changed. Changing this
> > > now
> > > may be controversial but I'm putting it out there anyway so we can
> > > discuss it.
> >
> > Personaly I think it would be ok to leave it at 1 year. We do have
> > contributors
> >
> > that make very few commits/year.
>
> Inactivity in their guru section is a primary cause of bitrot in a few
> sections.
>
> If we had people actually doing their assigned roles, we wouldn't need this
> provision at all. If you don't like this though, I will be calling up for a
> few removal votes shortly. I'd rather it not seem political or personal,
> but I'd rather it be done in a consistent if somewhat arbitrary fashion
> than for it to be deemed a personal judgement.

Having a named section assigned to them is not the same issue as having
commit access in general. The Grimoire Component Lead or his designated
assistants can certainly assign or remove people as section gurus as
necessary without regard to the question of their overall developer status.
Obviously a section guru who only commits one thing every 3 months is not
likely to be covering their assigned section either, even though they're in
no danger of losing all devel access per this policy. This is another
component issue that doesn't need to be resolved at the project level.
"Section guru" as a designation only even exists at the grimoire component
level.

> If they are submitting fixes that slowly, we need to let them do it through
> the normal routes non-gurus get to use.

We specifically went with a wide timeframe to accomodate people that mostly
maintain one or two spells and only need to make a commit every few months
to update that spell. We want those people to stay developers, because
even if they're only maintaining one or two things, that helps, and we need
help.